CIM Correctional Officer and his wife killed in crash returning from Super Bowl

By OPEC Staff

A Correctional Officer at the California Institution for Men (CIM) and his wife – the aunt and uncle of San Francisco 49ers tight end Delanie Walker – died early Monday in a traffic accident on Interstate 10 while returning from the Super Bowl.

Correctional Officer Bryan Young

“We here at CDCR extend our deepest sympathies to the family of Bryan and Alice Young,” said Secretary Jeff Beard. “Their deaths are a tragic loss to so many, including the CDCR family. We thank Officer Young for his service and wish his loved ones strength during this difficult time.”

Officer Bryan Young, 54, and his wife, Alice, 42, of Victorville were stopped on the shoulder of the interstate about 5:30 a.m. Monday when their 2012 Nissan Altima was hit by a Mercedes-Benz C230 that was traveling at a high rate of speed, according the Louisiana State Police.

The Mercedes-Benz was driven by Nechole Thomas, 26, of Houston, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Her blood-alcohol level exceeded the 0.08 percent standard for a DUI charge, according to the newspaper, and she was booked into the St. Charles Parish Jail on suspicion of driving under the influence; reckless operation; and two counts of vehicular homicide.

“The CIM family mourns the death of Correctional Officer Bryan Young and his wife,” said CIM Warden (A) Brenda M. Cash.  “He was well respected by his peers and by support staff. Our hearts and best wishes go to the families of Bryan Young and his wife.”

Warden Cash activated the CIM PEER Support staff to help staff cope with the tragedy.

DeAndre Williams, a senior at Serrano High School, did not accompany his parents to Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans, staying home to concentrate on his studies and track.

Williams told the Victorville Daily Press that Bryan Young married his mother in 2004.

“When Bryan came into my life, he made everything better,” Williams told the newspaper. “He took me under his wing. He wasn’t like that stepdad that doesn’t care about kids. He was just like a real dad. He loved us.”

Officer Young began his career with CDCR in April 1991 at the California Institution for Women. He transferred to CIM in February 1993.

Forty-niner Walker sent a message Wednesday on Twitter about his aunt and uncle, who attended the Super Bowl as his guests.

“We lost some good people they will be missed,” he wrote. “I’m going to miss y’all but I know they are in a better place.”

This entry was posted in Older Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to CIM Correctional Officer and his wife killed in crash returning from Super Bowl

1. D.McGee says:

Prayers goes out to the family and friends of c/o B. Young. You continue to be truly missed. Once again gone to soon. Our hearts weep.
    To all who serve and protect. Take the time to acknowledge your fellow officers, a smile can go a long way. Officer Young always had a smile for you. R.I.P.

2. C/O Littlejohn (CIW) says:

Rest in peace my Brotha. Seems like just yesterday we were chopping it up !

3. co lopez says:

May you rest in peace with your wife, my Brother in Green and my Brother in Niner Red. R.I.P. Season is for you.

4. Esteban Velazquez says:

Big Young, My Partner, My fellow Marine, My friend. You and your beautiful wife will truly be missed

5. D. Timmons says:

My heartfelt condolences to this family. My prayers are with them all.

6. c/o c mosley says:

May God bless and protect my dearest freinds, Bryant and Peaches, and may He continue to look over and protect their son, Deandre. My wife and I will truly miss you guys. We had lots of fun together. The two of you will always be in our hearts . Bryant, Peaches, we love you. Rest in peace my brother and sister.

7. Sharon Ross says:

My Prayers go out to this family in your time of lost. to Deandre I know this is a very hard time for you but God will be with you. Please continue on with your education no matter what the storm.

8. Gail D. says:

My heart goes out to the family of this well respected officer and his loving wife. At times such as this feelings are hard to put into words so I’ll just say “Earth has no sorrow that Heaven can’t heal”. Stay strong DeAndre and know that your parents taught you everything that you need to know to be a wonderful young man. CDCR-HQ employees stand in solidarity with you.

9. B. Harrison says:

C/O Young was one of the first partners I worked with on ‘West Yard’. He will truly be missed by his CIM family. May God Bless his other family during this time of sorrow.

10. C/O Y. Castillo says:

God Bless officer Young and his wife. I am praying for his family, and his smile will definitely be missed.

11. M. Amaro says:

How unfortunate and heart breaking for CO Young’s family and friends. Life is so short. May God bless their souls and help comfort their families at this time of heartbreak and unfortunate tradegy.
    I’m truly saddened by this story.

12. C/O Y. Castillo says:

God Bless officer Young and his wife. His family is in my prayers. Young’s great big smile will definitely be missed. It was so infectious. My deepest condolences!

13. Janice Lyon says:

Thoughts and prayers to the Family and Friends and to the CDCR families across the state. Not only were they our CDCR family but being a 49er Fan they were there also. May the imprint of memories they left behind bring comfort to DeAndre and the Family. From the Ironwood State Prison Family we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers as you travel this journey..

14. Former CO M.Bailey says:

Reflecting back on my tenure with CDC, I remember CO Bryan Young as being very respectful and always had a smile and always made you laugh. Rest in peace my brother with your lovely wife. May God bless and strengthen your family and friends.

15. Pamela says:

May the Lord bless and keep Deandre as he lives his life. And may he recognize that he has two wonderful guardian angels resting with God.

16. C.OLIVAREZ says:

May God give , DeAndre and his family strength never Met C/O Young. I work at CCI but we’re Brothers and Sisters @ CDCR. May God BLESS C/O YOUNG FAMILY….

17. S.Comer says:

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and our brothers and sisters at CIM.

May God grant everyone peace during this diffcult time.

18. G. Williams says:

May God Bless and protect them. Tomorrow is never promised to us. We have to live each day as if it is our last.

19. CHINO MIKE says:

Rest in peace Alice and Bryan

20. Jlonda Harper says:

My deepest condolences to the Young family. Our hearts are very heavy, but please know that we continue to pray for God’s healing and strength for the family and loved ones.
    We love you Young!

21. S. Chan says:

I just heard this report Thursday morning on the radio from B95. Didn’t realized it was a fellow officer and his wife who lost their life in such a tragic way. Although I never met Officer Young, I’m sure my PVSP family would like to share our thoughts, condolences and sympathy goes out to the rest of their families.

• D Patrick says:

I never met Officer Young , but my heart and prayers go out to his family and friends, to my brothers and sisters at CIM, stay strong.

22. CO K. White says:

CO Young always greeted everyone at the front
    with a smile. I am so sorry for this tragedy
    that has taken him and his wife far too early.
    God rest their souls and my prayers go out to
    their son and friends and family. Thank you
    CO Young for always making me smile and my
    day a little brighter. You will be missed.

23. J. Sheppard says:

I will miss his warm greeting and infectious smile as I drive through the CIM front gate. Prayers and best and best wishes to the entire Young and Williams family.

24. Andra Riley says:

My heart goes out to DeAndre and the rest of the family & friends who knew CO Officer & Mrs. Williams. May their souls rest in peace and may God comfort and be with DeAndre, family & friends. God Bless

25. Kristin says:

This saddens me more than any of the other stuff I read here. Dearest wishes and blessings to their devoted friends and families.

26. Jill Knacke says:

Every morning he had a warm smile for all of us here at CIM’s front gate. His smile was contagious. Maybe, the Lord needed more warm smiles at his gate. God Bless you and your family, Mr. B. Young…;)

27. Kimberly Kjonaas, PT says:

Although I didn’t know Officer Young, what a tragedy! I’m sure I can speak for all MCSP family here that our sincere and deepest sympathy goes out to the loved ones of his family. May God comfort you and give you peace during this difficult time. Rev. 21:3,4

28. Selina Lee says:

Such a senseless tragedy. May God heal the hearts of those affected, and bless you with peace that exceeds common understanding.

29. Lorna B. says:

My deepest condolences to the family and may CO Young and his wife rest in peace with the Lord. For those who drink alcohol, what good will it do you?

30. Denise Galan Perez says:

My heart and thoughts go to this family. So sorry to hear. May God bless DeAndre and walk with him every step through life.

31. Ron Evans, PT says:

The devil has found a comfortable home beneath the shelter of uncontrolled, irresponsible alcohol consumption.

May God bless and support this young man, who has lost his Mom and Dad.

32. Valerie Golden says:

This incredible man is my uncle. His wife was precious and they were very much in love. Heaven has two new angels!

33. Rosalinda Lozano says:

Our most deepest condolenses to the family, will keep the family in my prayers..
    May God comfort the hearts of those affected by this tragedy.

34. Nick Mannion says:

May God protect DeAndre and may this Mom and Dad rest in peace.

• Shaunti Hollis says:

This is one of the worst stories I have ever heard. For this to happen to them while returning from a wonderful family event. May all the praises go out to their families.

Comments are closed.