Johnny “J.J.” Torres

Correctional Officer Johnny “J.J.” Torres passed on Feb. 4.

“We here at CDCR extend our deepest sympathies to the family of Officer Torres,” said CDCR Secretary Jeff Beard. “Officer Torres’ death is a loss to all of the CDCR family.”

Officer Torres began his career as a Correctional Officer at Salinas Valley State Prison (SVSP) on July 15, 1996. He transferred to the Substance Abuse Treatment Facility (SATF) on May 14, 2001.

He moved to the Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) on March 13, 2006.

Officer Torres served honorably in the U.S. Marines prior to joining CDCR.

Funeral arrangements are as follows:

• A viewing Monday, Feb. 11 from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Miller Memorial Chapel, 1120 West Goshen Ave., Visalia.

• Services, Tuesday, Feb. 12 at noon at the Visalia Public Cemetery, 1300 West Goshen Ave. Visalia. A reception will follow. Details and directions will be announced at the service.

1. Steven J Kopacka Monday, August 14, 2017 / 9:17 am

Johnny, I think of you a lot with thoughts and smiles. I can’t believe it’s been four-and-a-half years since you left us! I’ll treasure the times we had when you would fly in for visits………………………………………….
    “JONNY -0 ” you were #1 of a kind – proud to be your blood…. RIP – BRO uncle-s j k

2. Tim Ramos Saturday, August 27, 2016 / 11:01 am

Wow, I just saw this. JJ was such a great officer to work with at SVSP, from the time we opened it. Prayers and thoughts are with your family brother. Also class of 4-96

3. Juan Castro Wednesday, February 20, 2013 / 3:51 pm

It is always with a sad heart to here of a marines’ passing and more since working in CDCR. I NEVER MET THIS MARINE, He was my Brother as a CO and a Marine. may GOD bless all those who had the chance to serve along side him. Keep the tradition going.

4. Officer M. Robb Friday, February 15, 2013 / 1:49 pm

J.J. you will be missed. Thank You for all you have done. May you rest well.

5. SSA Azell Middlebrooks Jr. Wednesday, February 13, 2013 / 11:23 pm

JJ you are one of the most squared away & outstanding officers CDCR has ever had. We will miss you
    SEMPER FI Marine
    God be with you rest in peace.

• jose l torres Friday, February 15, 2013 / 2:24 am

I would like to express gratitude and thanks from the entire Torress family.

6. Lt. S. Hinshaw Wednesday, February 13, 2013 / 8:24 pm

Johnny, This is CDC’s loss. The cops that worked with you will always remember you and your hard charging ways. I still use the search guide that you wrote to train the new cops that want to learn. You and that Smokey on the yard, made all the inmates nervous. You made me write a lot Brother, but if I could I would come back and stand beside you and do it again! I am a better cop for working with you. Rest in Peace, my Brother. We will miss you.

7. C/O M. Cobbs Wednesday, February 13, 2013 / 7:27 am

I will always remember you in that Smokey hat! Whenever I worked B yard, You always stood out to me. I’m truly saddened at hearing of your passing…
    At ease, Officer…Your Watch is over!
    R.I.P Bro.Torres

8. Bill Wilson Tuesday, February 12, 2013 / 11:33 pm

JJ you elevated us all with your dedication to professionalism and support of your coworkers. You will be missed.

We are not alone: Reach out when you need and reach back when you’re needed..

9. CC II JJ Hughes Tuesday, February 12, 2013 / 6:22 pm

One of the best Correctional Officers ever to work at SVSP. We will always miss you bro.

10. Francisca R. Rodriguez LVN Saturday, February 9, 2013 / 4:30 pm

So saddened by your absence, will remember what you taught me which made me feel safer doing my job here at KVSP. Your sense of knowing when they had not swallowed was so awesome.
    May God have you up there watching us and helping him keep us safe!
    🙁

11. C/O C. Nichols Friday, February 8, 2013 / 11:55 pm

Gonna miss you J.J.

12. Sgt. J. W. Rodriguez Friday, February 8, 2013 / 11:05 pm

You were a great Officer. You had that rare sixth sense for finding contraband. Rest in peace Brother.

13. LT. D.C. Fletcher Friday, February 8, 2013 / 9:27 pm

He was my ace duece!!! “McGruff” the crime dog. The type of Officer that makes a difference!!!

14. BARI LVN Friday, February 8, 2013 / 7:13 pm

May you rest in peace my friend – a wonderful man and a great C/O.

• Sgt. D. Lee and C/O K. Trotta Saturday, February 9, 2013 / 4:41 am

We will miss you! Thank You for Blessing us with your presence. Class of 4-96.

• Sgt. A. Morrison Friday, February 15, 2013 / 9:31 pm

JJ, i am so glad i got to see you before you left us. I know you are in a better place and you can “Stand at Ease” now, because your safe.

Light Fighter