CDCR investigating attempted murder of officer at CSP-SAC

California State Prison-Sacramento (CSP-SAC) officials are investigating the attempted murder of a correctional officer that occurred this morning in one of the maximum-security units.

Today at approximately 8 a.m., inmate Alberto Cortez, 22, tried to murder a 40-year-old correctional officer by repeatedly slashing him with an inmate-made weapon.  A second inmate tried to attack officers who responded to the incident. Cortez who has been in prison since December 23, 2010, is serving a 15-years-to-life sentence from Los Angeles County for attempted first-degree murder and receiving stolen property.

The officer, a 15-year CDCR veteran, was slashed on his neck.  He was taken to an outside hospital by ambulance for treatment and is in fair condition at this time.

CSP-SAC’s Investigative Services Unit is investigating the incident as an attempted murder.  The Office of the Inspector General’s Bureau of Independent Review was notified of the attack.

1. Mark Anthony Williams Thursday, November 21, 2013 / 5:07 pm

Thank God for all of you! Your efforts to stand and protect each other in the midst of the attempt on your lives, shows a tremendous amount of courage. You never gave up on your brother. I may not know any you, but today I am proud of all of you and reminded of your commitment and love. Sometimes we let petty gossip and our selfish judgmental attitudes mirror our behavior towards our fellow brothers and sisters. We should be reminded daily, realizing we all need one other. For when death comes knocking at your door, no one should stand alone.

C/O M. A. Williams- CIM

2. Derrick Patrick Thursday, November 21, 2013 / 3:44 pm

Get well soon, brother. They can slow us down but, they can’t stop us!

3. C/O Dunne Thursday, November 21, 2013 / 7:36 am

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Praying for a speedy recovery. Also praying for the Officer assaulted at Folsom on Nov. 8 and the Officer at Corcoran last month. Let’s be safe out there.

4. C.O. T Santos Thursday, November 21, 2013 / 3:51 am

Continue prayers for you and your family. I pray everyday when I work behind these walls. God’s healing powers over your body. I’m glad youre OK. Take care

5. Afonso, SRNII Thursday, November 21, 2013 / 12:26 am

It proves that we work in a very dangerous society. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Get well soon

6. Valerie Golden Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 11:40 pm

Praying……………

7. Joan Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 10:32 pm

I pray that you will all have a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. May God be with you and bless you.
    I appreciate all that you Corretional Officers do. You deserve a lot of thanks and praise for such a thankless job.

8. M. Vega Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 10:27 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Thanks for your hard work and keeping society safe from people like that!

9. Torrie Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 9:51 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with the C/Os that were injured. Praying for a fast recovery for all involved.

10. C/O Barboza Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 9:14 pm

Hope you have a speedy recovery. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong

11. M. L. Gonzales Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 8:42 pm

Prayers for all involved and affected. On a side note was information released on this site when a similar situation happened at COR approximately 30 days ago?

Editor’s note: I didn’t realize that CDCR press releases about attacks on officers were not being seen by some employees until it was pointed out to me after the Corcoran attack. All reports on attacks on officers released to the public also will now be included in the newsletter. For those who missed it, here is link to press release on the Corcoran attack (you may have to copy the link and paste it into your browser to view the release):

12. Cathy CC Lowas Wednesday, November 20, 2013 / 8:09 pm

I pray for your quick recovery. God speed!

13. vicki Monday, November 18, 2013 / 8:34 pm

How sad! Praying for the CO and all COs. Very, very hard job to have.