Inmates knit warm gifts for children with surprise ending (video)

By Dana Simas

OPEC PIO
The record-breaking cold spike across the country has boosted the need for warm clothes, scarves, and hats for many underserved children in the Sacramento-region. The male inmates at Folsom State Prison and the female inmates at Folsom Women’s Facility have stepped up to help these children by knitting hundreds of scarves and hats, each to be given to a child. The inmates in the “Hooks and Needles” program on Folsom State Prison grounds worked hard to make sure every child who attended the 2nd Annual Meadowview Holiday Festival received a knitted hat and scarf.
CDCR videographer Jeff Baur recorded the event, including taking the unusual step of showing the inmates who made the scarves the reaction of recipients.
Watch the inmates’ emotional reactions when they finally get to see how their hard work made dozens of children smile, and will help keep them warm this winter season.

You may not be able to view YouTube from a CDCR computer. Here is a Windows Media Player version.

1. Julie Stayrook Friday, July 29, 2016 / 9:20 am

Wow. This is awesome! I wasn’t able to view the video but I got the visual through the words and hope to watch the video soon as well. I’m already (in my head) thinking of all the ways I can get friends and family and the community in NorCal involved in donating Yarn. I know I have some.
    Great job to all. What a beautiful thing you’re doing and the recipients are feeling the love.
    Keep up the great job.

2. Heather Friday, April 22, 2016 / 8:44 am

I would love to start something like this locally. I crochet a lot and would love to share my knowledge. There are shelters locally that could really use some extra warmth like this. Great story and video to go with it. Very moving.

3. Linda Knanishu Monday, January 6, 2014 / 3:10 pm

I was very moved by this video. It is proof that there is good in everyone.

4. Christina Vargas Friday, January 3, 2014 / 12:53 am

This was definitely a great program to highlight. Really appreciated the video footage because it helps the reader see the impact of the story on all the participants. Well done Folsom crew! Maybe expand it to also provide warm scarves and hats to the elderly as well.

5. Elizabeth Bart-Opoku Friday, December 27, 2013 / 8:21 pm

This is so wonderful brought tears in my eyes for what these guys did. God bless them for their giving hearts.

6. Anthony Sanchez Thursday, December 26, 2013 / 4:58 pm

It was really nice to see a video like this. i have to say that i wish moe prisons had programs like this to help children out

7. Elizabeth Henshaw Tuesday, December 24, 2013 / 5:57 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed your piece on “Hooks and Needles”. I was wonderful to see how creative the inmates got on their gifts to children and to see the children’s faces and the inmates’ reaction to see how well received their gifts were. It was very positive and a Christmas heart warming piece.

8. Jacqui Coder Monday, December 23, 2013 / 6:19 pm

What a blessing – this brought tears to my eyes! To see those male inmates have such pride in their work and then seeing the emotions as they watched the reactions of the recipients of their work. That really touched my heart. Thanks for sharing this with us.