Luther ‘Sonny’ Sweigert

The California Medical Facility (CMF) reports the passing of  retired Correctional Lt. Luther “Sonny” Sweigert. Lt.  Sweigert passed away Dec. 22.

He began his career with CDCR on Oct. 15, 1979 at San Quentin State Prison. Lt. Sweigert retired on April 30, 2007 from CMF.

1. J. Gomez Tuesday, January 14, 2014 / 9:33 am

Sorry to hear this news. He was one of the very first Sgt’s I ever worked for at CMF. He was a good man and well respected. My condolences and prayers go out to his entire family. Semper Fidelis.

2. Roy Gust Friday, January 10, 2014 / 4:56 pm

I worked with Sonny as a C/O at CMF and for him as a Sgt. and Lt. He had the utmost respect of the people who worked for him and had a great deal to do with what I have learned over the years. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

3. Ivan Cameron Thursday, January 9, 2014 / 9:56 pm

I am very sorry to hear of Sonny’s passing. I had the pleasure of working for Sonny as a C/O while at CMF. He was a great boss and mentor. Sonny’s door was always open. He never sugar coated anything. He’ll be sorely missed. My condolences go out to Mary and the rest of the family.

4. Kerry L. Dorsey Thursday, January 9, 2014 / 8:44 pm

My thoughts and prayers go to Mary at this time of such a loss. Mary was such spiritual light who provided me with awesome guidance and insight when I returned to Solano in ’06. Heart-felt condolences.

5. D. Lisch, OT Thursday, January 9, 2014 / 12:37 am

I met Sonny only once, but worked with Mary at Solano between 2001 and 2006. Mary was a wonderful, upbeat coworker who spoke so affectionately of her husband. I’m very sorry to hear of her loss. My thoughts and prayers are with Sonny’s family.

6. Greg Knight Monday, January 6, 2014 / 2:54 pm

Sonny was my sergeant, lieutenant, mentor, hunting partner and one of the best friends a guy could ever hope to find.
    God Bless my friend and his family.
    Semper Fi Sonny

7. mary dooley Friday, January 3, 2014 / 2:16 am

I had the pleasure to start my career as C/O at San Quentin with Sonny. He well be deeply missed. My deepest sympathy and prayers to his family.

8. Cheryl Hughes Thursday, January 2, 2014 / 11:04 pm

I am so sad to hear of Sonny’s passing. I had the pleasure of working with Sonny at CMF when I was an officer and also with Mary at Solano. My deepest and heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to Mary and her family at this difficult time.

9. Kathleen Tyler (KAT) Thursday, January 2, 2014 / 5:22 pm

I didn’t personally know Sonny, but his wife Mary hired me @ Solano back in 2005. My heart goes out to Mary. I know how much she loves him.