Charles ‘Chuck’ Wheatley

Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) reports the passing of retired Correctional Capt. Charles “Chuck” Wheatley on Dec. 22.

He started his CDCR career in January 1977 as an Employer Program Representative I.

He promoted to Correctional Counselor at the California Institution for Men (CIM) in 1980 and promoted to Correctional Captain at PVSP in 1995.

Capt. Wheatley retired in March 2002.

A memorial service will be 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 14 at 11 a.m. at:

McKay’s High Desert Funeral Home

Memorial Chapel FD-2159

14444 7th Street, Victorville, CA 92395

Phone: (760) 951-4589

1. Bruce Wheatley Monday, February 15, 2016 / 2:22 pm

Wow. Pops rarely brought his work home. However, we knew how much he was appreciated when he left Chino for Pleasant Valley. I remember at his going away reception staff crying and commenting how knowledgeable and helpful he was to everyone.

There was a time when the neighborhood bully, this 19-year-old kid, was dunking and holding me and my brother’s head underwater at the neighborhood pool. We went home, told Pops, returned with him and please believe Pops handled his business with this bully.

He has been and continued to be my Hero every day. Thank each of you for your thoughtful comments. Thank you, Bruce Wheatley.

2. jeff ford Sunday, January 12, 2014 / 3:25 pm

Chuck was a big man with an even bigger heart. His caseworker knowledge was immense. Everyone learned from him. He treated everyone fairly. And his laugh made every body’s day.

3. Tom Burroughs Sunday, January 12, 2014 / 6:06 am

Captain Wheatley was one of the most memorable people in my career. Even though I never directly worked for him, he knew my name and joked me into a corner every time. He was a great man and a great influence on me and all who knew him. I can hear you laughing at us all right now.

4. Victoria Powers Thursday, January 9, 2014 / 10:18 pm

I worked with Captain Wheatley on Facility D from 1998-2002 as a CCI. I remember the training sessions he would hold with the CCIs, and also the appreciation he expressed for a job well done. That’s the kind of man he was. He was always a hoot, but very professional, and supportive of his staff. His robust laugh could be heard throughout the Program office. I still share stories with my co-workers about the Captain; he made a huge impression on me, and I will always appreciate the time I spent working with him on Facility D. I am very saddened to hear of his passing, God Bless you, Captain, RIP.

5. Shannon Duncan Thursday, January 9, 2014 / 8:36 pm

As Jeff said below, I, as well as others, remember working for Capt. Wheatley in ASU at PVSP a long time ago. He was a good man and always supported his staff. He will be missed by family, friends and co-workers. Godspeed and RIP Capt.!!!

6. chino mike Wednesday, January 8, 2014 / 12:39 am

God bless

7. Alan Wrye Tuesday, January 7, 2014 / 4:59 pm

Chuck, you made the “Dog Pound” (D Yard) what it was. You had our back. The ONLY Capt. that I’ve seen respond to a riot (north/south ’99) and handle your business! Thanks for the years and the memories. Lots of love and respect. RIP Captain Wheatley. GOD bless you

8. Scott Frauenheim Tuesday, January 7, 2014 / 4:41 pm

Captain Wheatley was one of the founding fathers at PVSP and his legacy will forever be part of this institution. He was a role model for many and a father figure to us all. His guidance, wisdom and laughter will be missed.

9. Jeff Provine Tuesday, January 7, 2014 / 5:24 am

RIP Captain. Thank you for the trust you had in us on “The Dog Pound” during your years at PVSP. As the escorting officer in many years of ICCs, I watched as you told the chair of the committees “to bring ’em on over.” We handled ours Cap. God bless, Man.

• Sandra Thursday, January 16, 2014 / 1:15 am

Chuck was such a kind and wonderful person. He had the respect of his staff as well as a fabulous personality. He is someone that will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace Captain Wheatley!!