Kenneth Grady

Retired Lt. Kenneth Grady passed away on Jan. 14 at his home in Plainview, TX.

He began his career with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation at Corcoran State Prison in January 1993.  He later transferred to Centinela State Prison in December 1993.

In October 2000, he promoted to Sergeant at Calipatria State Prison.

In March 2007, he promoted to Lieutenant at The California Institution for Men. Lt. Grady retired from CDCR in August  2009, and went on to continue his public service with the Texas Department of Corrections.

1. S.S. Friday, January 24, 2014 / 2:49 pm

You were on of a kind and will be deeply missed. A Lt. you could count on to be boot to boot with you in times of trouble.

2. cm Thursday, January 23, 2014 / 9:25 pm

You are missed shady….
    Thank You for the great leadership….
    God Bless…. Shady Grady….
    till next time…

3. Macario "Mac" Galvan Thursday, January 23, 2014 / 5:59 pm

I was shocked to hear the news that “Shady” Grady had passed. I had the pleasure of working with him at both Centinela and at Calipat. He taught me a lot. He was one of the best in our chosen field. RIP Grady, as God’s light shines down on you. Know that you will be missed.

4. Dennie Turner Thursday, January 23, 2014 / 5:49 pm

My heart is heavy to hear of the passing of ” Shady” Grady, my first S&E partner. He and I walked many of the first inmates on to “C” yard at Centinela. He was a good man to know and a great partner to have especially when the **** hit the fan as it did often back in those days. “J” I hope you are well and please know that Grady is loved and will be remembered not only for the tales that have and will be told but also for his actions and knowledge that he shared. Shady be at peace.

5. Diana Viale Thursday, January 23, 2014 / 4:56 pm

I had the privilege of working with “Shady” Grady in 1993 when we were working on C-yard. He always had a smile on his face and was a pleasure to work with. It was very sad to hear of his passing. I will always hold a memory and a place in my heart for him and everyone I had the pleasure of working with at Centinela.

6. mark carlock Thursday, January 23, 2014 / 4:22 pm

Lt. Grady was my mentor when I started at Centinela back in 1997. I learned a lot from him and he became a good friend. He is the one who turned me on to wearing the Smokey Hat that I still wear today and now I will wear it in honor of him. God bless you Lt. Grady and rest in peace.

7. PV Wednesday, January 22, 2014 / 4:26 pm

I’m deeply sorry to hear about the passing of Lt. Grady. “Shady,” as many of us knew him, was one of the best supervisors I had the pleasure to work with. He was a great leader of his troops. RIP Grady.