Albert Munoz III

Salinas Valley State Prison (SVSP) reported the death of Correctional Officer Albert Munoz III on Feb. 25. The institution was informed that Officer Munoz passed away as the result of a motorcycle accident near the city of Soledad.

He began his CDCR career with on Oct. 29, 2007. After graduation from the Correctional Training Academy, he reported to Correctional Training Facility on Feb. 23, 2008.

Officer Munoz transferred to SVSP on May 16, 2011. He transferred back to CTF on Feb. 27, 2012 due to standardization.

He transferred back to SVSP on July 23, 2012. At SVSP, he primarily worked on Facility C. He also served as a member of the CTF/SVSP Crisis Response Team.

Family and friends may pay their respects from 1 to 9 p.m. Sunday, March 2, at Black-Cooper-Sander Funeral Home, 363 7th St, Hollister, CA.

Rosary will be at 7 p.m. at the funeral home.

Mass will be at noon on Monday, March 3, at Old Mission San Juan Bautista, 406 2nd Street San Juan Bautista, CA. Friends can gather at the funeral home at 11:15 a.m. for a procession to the church.

Interment will follow at Calvary Cemetery, 1100 Hillcrest Road Hollister.

1. A.Lopez Tuesday, March 8, 2016 / 9:12 pm

I can’t believe it’s been another year since you left us. You have been truly missed around here @ SVSP. I can still remember the day I received the call like it was yesterday. You are forever in our hearts and it was an honor to have met you!

2. Randy B. Ramirez Saturday, March 8, 2014 / 10:33 pm

My name is Randy Ramirez
    I am Albert Munoz’s cousin; like Albert I served in the military and found a new appreciation of what Albert had to go through to overcome his demographic upbringing and better himself.
    I ended serving in the same Ranger Battalion as Albert did and now I have used his example to better myself and I am currently perusing my master’s degree through the University of Arizona.

I would like to extend the family’s appreciation to all who participated in Albert’s farewell. I have kept in contact with everyone in my family and everyone is extremely appreciative of everything that the various organizations did after his passing – all through the first couple of days til the end.

Your organization and your brotherhood have made Albert’s memory and your organization something to admire and live up to. My family members have nothing but the best wishes to all of you in your careers and family endeavors and we will continue to meditate for your success and safety.

V.R.
    Randy B. Ramirez

3. Susan @Fox Creek Village Tuesday, March 4, 2014 / 10:29 pm

What an unfortunate loss. You will always be remembered fondly. We’ve already missed having you live at our community. Now you will be missed even more. RIP.

4. D Patrick Tuesday, March 4, 2014 / 12:57 pm

Another brother from my academy class. Sorry to hear about another classmate losing his life. My condolences go out to his family and friends. May you rest in peace, my brother.

5. c.porras Tuesday, March 4, 2014 / 5:38 am

I didn’t have the privlege to know Munoz as well as I could have. I still remember the first time I worked with you like it was yesterday. The way you made me laugh like you were family from the jump. The way you said: “Come on dag!” I’ll never forget. You motivated many and will always be missed dag! I luv you dag! and I will see you in the Resurrection dag!

6. C. Santiago Sunday, March 2, 2014 / 3:22 am

I met Munoz down at CTF. I liked him from day one. He radiated with energy and charisma and humor. I was fortunate to be partnered with him several times at SVSP, and on one of those occasions we really opened up to each other. He not only made the effort to offer some words of wisdom to me personally and teach me a few things, but he was open to learning too. It showed me that despite his tough exterior, he was a caring guy with a big heart who contributed to the success of others, and through our conversations it was evident that he loved his family deeply and was a proud father.
    He carried an aura of invincibility with him and you couldn’t help but feel that with Munoz on your side you couldn’t lose. I always looked forward to the next time I saw him. Although my wife never met him she was familiar with his name, because he was perhaps the only officer that I ever mentioned to her by name, on several occasions, in regards to how much respect I had for the man. I never had the chance to tell him that, or to thank him for being so good to me. I’ll miss him.

7. WARREN G Friday, February 28, 2014 / 3:00 pm

May God watch over your family. RIP

8. A. Vasquez (Banda) Friday, February 28, 2014 / 3:47 am

Muñoz was one of the best officers I ever had the privilage to work with. He will be sorely missed but never forgotten. He would always say no need to get ready if you stay ready. RIP.

Not saying goodbye, but see you later Muñoz.

9. Johnny Gomez Friday, February 28, 2014 / 3:42 am

Albert is my wife’s cousin. When I first met him, we instantly clicked like if we knew each other for years. The few times we went to Salinas, we always had a blast. Albert, I feel honored to have met you. Brother, you truly will be missed. Your cousin-in-law Johnny. God bless and RIP.

10. E. Trinidad Friday, February 28, 2014 / 3:41 am

RIP friend, fellow soldier and Brother. We will always remember you, “Baby Albert”. Wait for me at Fiddlers Green.

11. R.Salgado Friday, February 28, 2014 / 2:27 am

You will be missed and always remembered for your charisma and swag dag. My heart goes out to your family and loved ones. Rest in peace. You are a true warrior.

12. m. G Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 11:19 pm

Thoughts and prayers to the Munoz family. May God put a healing hand over everyone’s grieving hearts and the strenght to get through this.

13. Tim Gomez Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 10:56 pm

Thoughts and prayers to the family of a brother. Strength and honor!!

14. C. Grieco Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 6:36 pm

Munoz lives on in the thoughts and the memories we all have of him. He had a gift for making each of us laugh. He was a guy you wanted to show up if one of you ever needed assistance. He was competent and courageous, tenacious and tough, brave and dedicated everything a warrior should be. He will be truly missed.
    To all of Munoz’s family I extend my deepest condolences.

15. Gary Gilman Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 6:14 pm

Prayers to the family and friends of Officer Munoz; he was a great Officer, Brother. You will be truly missed.

16. A.S. Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 5:18 pm

One word to describe Albert – “RELENTLESS” at everything he did. Solid warrior and a solid co-worker and Amigo. May you rest in peace Brother!

17. B. Jansen Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 5:07 pm

I only met Albert a few times. Great guy and an outstanding Officer. My prayers go out to his family. God bless.

18. C. Martinez Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 5:06 pm

My heart hurts. We have lost a great person. I am honored to have known Albert.
    R.I.P AL.
    Prayers to his family/friends.

19. M. Soto Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 9:34 am

I can still remember when I first met him. He walked on to the yard at SVSP so energetic, so full of life. That’s who he was. A team player through and through. One of the best officers I have ever stood next to. Just a stand up classy dude. I love him as my partner, as my friend, and as my brother. Rest In Peace Moon-Doggy (can’t believe Im typing these words).

20. GG Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 9:00 am

Albert was a great father and great guy! You will be missed very much. We love you and you will always be in our hearts. Rest in peace, Albert.

21. Lao Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 7:27 am

Great Officer, better partner, awesome friend. You will truly be missed

22. sarina Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 5:18 am

Rest in peace, Albert. It was great knowing you.

23. Cassandra Gonzalez Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 4:25 am

You will forever be in our hearts, Albert. Your nieces will always remember you as the loving uncle that brought so much love and joy into their lives. We love you always! Rest In Peace

24. Jaz Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 1:19 am

A father, friend, son, and brother. The toughest warrior with a great heart. Always remembered with a smile “shine bright like a diamond”.

RIP. You will be missed

25. Tuntakit Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 12:45 am

RIP, my brother. My prayers go out to friends and family. You will be missed.

26. E. Brillo Wednesday, February 26, 2014 / 8:54 pm

Strength and Honor. Rest in peace, Brother.