CTF chaplain honored at Pre-Grammy Inter-Faith Awards

By Lt. Roland Ramon, PIO/AA
Correctional Training Facility

A chaplain at the Correctional Training Facility (CTF) in Soledad was honored at the recent Pre-Grammy Inter-Faith Awards.

Chaplain Acquil

Chaplain Tariq Ansaar Aquil

Chaplain Tariq Ansaar Aquil at CTF was the recipient of the Faithful Servant Award.

The event’s organizers focused on religious leaders who have made outstanding contributions to the Interfaith Community for more than 20 years.

During his acceptance speech, Chaplain Tariq Aquil talked about the support he receives from the CTF administration and co-workers.

“You may think that I am standing here with my feet firmly planted on the floor,” he said. “I assure you it is an illusion. In reality I am standing upon the shoulders of all who have gone before me in striving to repair, resurrect and rededicate our efforts to serve humanity. Although the work that brought me to the attention of the event organizers is performed behind barbed wire and high security walls, it has not been done in a vacuum.”

The Pre-Grammy Selection committee cited some of Chaplain Aquil’s achievements, including:

• In 2000, he was invited to the White House by President Bill Clinton to attend “A Call to Action” for Faith Groups of America.

• In December 2001, he addressed the Conference of World Islamic Leaders in Jakarta, Indonesia.

• In Dec. 20, 2003, he was guest speaker at Jerusalem Peace Symposium in Jerusalem.

• On March 23, 2004, he was invited to Washington D.C., where The United States Congress awarded him a Congressional Congratulatory Letter for Outstanding Community Service.

• On April 17, 2013, he received the Monterey County Peace Officers Association “Employee of the year Award.”

1. Enrique Rasheed Tuesday, March 4, 2014 / 7:19 pm

Congratulations to Imam Tariq Aquil on this fitting recognition for your dedication to your work. You make us all proud. May G-d continue to bless you.

2. Antar Jannah Monday, March 3, 2014 / 11:02 pm

As Salaam Alaikum, you are a hard worker and a great example for us all. I salute you and I am grateful to be your brother. Keep your head up, stay prayed up and never give up.

3. M. D. Williams CCWF Sunday, March 2, 2014 / 9:51 pm

Congratulations! I am so proud of you. I do not know you, yet i am so happy that your walk with God is shining through as you sprinkle this world with the salt that tastes so good. Keep up the good work. Take time for you and yours. God bless.

4. Chaplain Abdulwaahid Johnson Friday, February 28, 2014 / 8:12 pm

Congratulations! I’m trying to fill your shoes but they keep getting bigger! =)

5. Naim Friday, February 28, 2014 / 3:45 am

Imam Tariq Alhamdullah, you have been chosen for some work few in several lifetimes would be able to emulate. A broken humanity is being repaired and re-mended together from your past, current and inshAllah future efforts. As your son in law, I am very proud of you. I also want to say so is your beautiful daughter and four grandchildren. Keep up the great work. We love you dearly.

6. Ayub. S. Haroun Friday, February 28, 2014 / 3:32 am

Congratulations to my Chaplain, Imam Tariq Aquil. Congratulations CTF. Congratulation all hard working Chaplains and Muslim Imams. What an august occasion to recognize and appreciate great individual! This award is a crown to all hard working, selfless Chaplains.
    We are proud of Imam Aquil, a faithful soldier, who rightfully deserves the Faithful Servant Award. I met with Imam Aquil only once during recent denominational conference organized by the Muslim American Chaplains Association (MACA). But the brief one on one encounter I had with Imam Aquil, and the classy and eloquent speech he delivered left me with unbelievable rejuvenating spirit and feeling, long after the conference.
    It is something I now call “The Aquil Effect”. If anyone is looking for a dynamic, lively, warm, societal, sociable and approachable; then Imam Aquil is your man.
    Imam, Thank you for your dedication, continuous love for your work, your personality and leadership. Thank you CTF, for allowing a good working environment and friendship that made the original contribution of Imam Aquil to bear its fullest fruit. At a time where some have turned work places for warfare against these very outstanding characteristics that made Imam Aquil our proud hero. Imam Aquil, CTF Warm congratulations

Ayub Haroun
    Muslim Chaplain- CSATF/SP

7. Chaplain Abdulmalik Saafir Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 10:28 pm

As Salaam Alaikum I would like to take this time to congratulate you on your contribution to humanity. You are a model and reflection of not just Imams/Chaplains but a true representative of one who believes in sharing in all that is good and excellent. May Allah continue to bless you to excell in the most excellent way to bridge humanity inviting them to all what is good and sharing our commonality which overide our little building blocks. Thank you my dear beloved brother you have represented the best of us.

8. Chaplain Michael Salaam, ASP Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 10:13 pm

Congratulations! As my professional colleague and dear friend, I say in all sincerity that this recognition of Chaplain Tariq Aquil is so welled deserved. He is the consummate professionnal. May God continue to guide him and bless his good works.

9. Gary Gilman Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 6:02 pm

As a former Correctional Lieutenant at the Correctional Training Facility, I enjoyed working with Chaplain Aquil. I recall him working with many community organizations; helping our local communities feed, train, and prepare for what he always looked at as new opportunities, not challenges. He is always a consummate professional, who held the inmates responsible to their faiths. As a Departmental Chaplin he is required to address many issues in all religious faiths and accomplished this with respect and dignity.

Chaplain Aquil, I appreciate you and the work you do for all of us each and everyday.

10. Rabbi E.J.Klein DVI Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 5:30 pm

Congratulations to Chaplain Aquil!
    After working with Chaplain Aquil for seven years at CTF, the honor could not have happened to a better guy. Rabbi Klein, Jewish Chaplain DVI

11. Tony Wagner Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 5:02 pm

Tariq is always willing to do any job, perform any task, take any steps, that will bring the inmates here at CTF closer to God, no matter what their religious preferance may be. Working with Tariq has certainly been a joy and a blessing!

12. Laurie Maurino Thursday, February 27, 2014 / 4:43 pm

I am so happy that Chaplain Aquil has been recognized for his hard work. He has always been extemely helpful and professional in helping me with CDCR’s religious diet issues, Good Job! Laurie Maurino, CDCR Dept. Food Adminstrator.