California Institution for Men slain officer remembered with annual fundraiser

Poker Run honors memory of Officer Manuel Gonzales, Jr.

A decade ago, the life of Correctional Officer Manuel A. Gonzales, Jr., was cut short and his former coworkers and friends continue to honor his memory through an annual fundraiser.

officer manuel gonzalesOn Jan. 10, 2005, Officer Gonzales was working at California Institution for Men at Chino when he was stabbed to death by an inmate.

The Officer had worked for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for 17 years.

To mark the 10th year of his passing, friends and coworkers are hosting the annual Memorial Poker Run motorcycle ride on Saturday, April 11, at Bruce’s, 12623 Imperial Highway in Santa Fe Springs.

A $15 donation is requested. The donation covers the cost of the ride t-shirt, poker run and food. Menudo will be served at 8 a.m. as registration begins. The poker run starts at 10 a.m. The followup party at Bruce’s begins at 2 p.m. The event is rain or shine.

1. T E Ramos Wednesday, January 4, 2017 / 7:46 pm

Just seen, Gonzo, you and your family will never leave my prayers. You were a great partner to have three times a week, after I transferred to CIM in 1998. A brother that always had your back. Miss you bro. TR

2. C.CASTRO Sunday, March 29, 2015 / 6:08 am

Rest in peace,Gonzo. I’ll always remember you, brother! GOD bless you.
    — Your Sycamore family, C. Castro

3. A4- ADSEG Saturday, March 28, 2015 / 12:42 am

Your life was not in vain, I will always remember you, even when he tried to take two more lives, The memory of you protected me and another.
    “I will NEVER forget…!”

4. "Rocky" Friday, March 27, 2015 / 11:35 am

I worked at CIM and remember when that happened. My prayers to his family. Nice to see CIM still “take care of their own.” I still have that “take of our own” attitude out here in Parole. Thank you CDCR custody for all you do.

5. DARLENE SEVILLANO ) Wednesday, March 25, 2015 / 3:14 pm

I also do not know this angel of an Officer, but through the years working in parole, I have come to see his face many times. May god bless him and his family. We are all family in this business.

6. Peggy Pope Wednesday, March 25, 2015 / 11:54 am

I did not know the officer; however, I am convinced that he must have been “quite a guy.” You have continued this endeavor now for 10 years. Your effort speaks very highly of him, but your effort also convinces me that CIM must be “quite a place.” I am sure that his family must also appreciate what you do in his memory.

7. Hector Rodriguez Wednesday, March 25, 2015 / 8:38 am

I never met you however, as a correctional brother, I feel the pain of your family, the anger at the one who killed you and the sadness of it all. No more sadness, pain or earthly discomforts. I will pray for your family.
    — H.R., retired

8. D. Viloria Wednesday, March 25, 2015 / 7:39 am

Rest in peace, brother. More power to the fundraiser organizers and participants. Bless your heart. God bless.

• A JARAMILLO Thursday, March 26, 2015 / 7:42 am

Gonzo, all of your partners miss you at work. We have nothing but love for you, “Raider love,” brother.