CSP-Solano employee helps save crash victim

A CSP-Solano employee enlisted the help of a truck driver to pull a crash victim to safety. The driver of the other vehicle died. Photo by Joseph Jasso.

Prison food manager enlists help of truck driver to pull man to safety

By Don Chaddock, Inside CDCR editor

A state prison employee came upon the scene of a head-on collision on Highway 12 and helped pull someone from the wreckage.

Assistant Correctional Food Manager Joseph Jasso was on his way to work at California State Prison, Solano, on April 10 when he was one of the first to arrive at the scene of an accident.

“A (car) had been struck and … was upside down on the left hand side of the highway,” Jasso said. “I pulled over (to) the side of the highway, grabbed my cell phone and ran across the street to see if anyone was in the vehicle.”

Inside, he found a man pinned behind the steering wheel.

“I immediately called 911,” he said. “I asked if (the victim) was OK and he started asking me for help. I ran back across the street to grab my crowbar out of the trunk so I could deflate the airbag.”

California State Prison, Solano Warden Eric Arnold, left, and Joseph Jasso, Assistant Correctional Food Manager, discuss the April 10 car accident. Photo by Lt. Marlaina Dernoncourt.

While Jasso was getting the crowbar, a big rig pulled over, so he enlisted the driver’s help.

“I told him I need to deflate the airbag and asked if he could help,” Jasso said. “(The truck driver) shielded the victim’s face while I deflated the airbag. (Then) I was able to get under the steering column and release the steering wheel so we could free the victim’s legs.”

The two then gently pulled the man to safety and waited for paramedics to arrive. He also called the victim’s wife to let her know the situation.

“(I told her) he was OK and we were waiting for help,” Jasso said.

The second vehicle’s occupant was killed in the crash, according to authorities.

According to the Lodi News-Sentinel, “a Toyota driving west at an unknown rate of speed veered into the eastbound lanes for unknown reasons at about 6:36 a.m. … on Friday. The Toyota hit another vehicle traveling east at about 55 miles an hour.”

According to the news story, “the impact caused the second vehicle to roll over on its roof on the dirt shoulder south of the highway, then back across the eastbound lane before going off the north side of the road.”

The first vehicle ended up in a canal near the roadway and the driver was killed, authorities said.

“I am glad I was able to assist and help,” Jasso said. “If asked if I would do it again, my answer is, most definitely. CHP thanked both me and the truck driver who assisted.”

Warden Eric Arnold said he was proud knowing Mr. Jasso selflessly acted without hesitation to save a man’s life.

“I am honored to have people like Mr. Jasso working at CSP-Solano,” he said.

Learn more about CSP-Solano, https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Facilities_Locator/SOL.html

1. W. Chun Monday, September 21, 2015 / 6:19 pm

Good job, Mr. Jasso.

2. stephanie.moss@cdcr.ca.gov Tuesday, April 28, 2015 / 6:52 pm

Thank God for placing Mr. Jasso and the truck driver in the appointed place, at the appointed time, to do His will so the second victim was safely brought out of that wrecked car. Thank you, Mr. Jasso, for heeding the call in your heart that you should stop and offer aid to this victim and for not dismissing that call by driving on without stopping. My thanks are also given for the truck driver who stopped to assist you.

3. JS MAYORGA Friday, April 24, 2015 / 10:30 am

Great job, sir. They should award the Medal of Valor to you. Your fearless and courageous act shows the integrity and moral values that you hold. We, as non-custody, are proud of your deed. Keep up the good work and always strive for greatness.

4. Amy Moraga Thursday, April 23, 2015 / 8:50 am

I am the proud aunt of this young man. Joseph has always been the type of person who would go above and beyond for anyone and do anything that needs to be done. He is an admirable young man. Always thinking of others, a hard worker, a kind, loving, generous man. I too worked in Corrections years ago and am now retired. I know that the Medal of Valor is awarded once a year to Corrections employees and have attended one of these ceremonies. I feel Joseph Jasso’s name should be put in for this award. He truly deserves it.
    Our family hero!
    Amy Moraga

5. Joseph Wednesday, April 22, 2015 / 8:43 pm

I want to thank everyone for all the positive feedback. It truly is appreciated and heart felt.
    I am proud to be a part of the CDCR family.
    Remember, we should always pay it forward.
    Acts of human kindness is a great thing.
    Respectfully,
    J. Jasso
    Assistant Correctional Food Manager
    CSP-Solano

6. J.L.Moore Wednesday, April 22, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Thank goodness you were there, Mr. Jasso. You are truly a lifesaver!

7. MONICA ROMERO Tuesday, April 21, 2015 / 8:03 am

So proud to know you, Solano hero!

• Joseph Tuesday, April 21, 2015 / 5:56 pm

Thanks

8. Shawnee Sisneroz Sunday, April 19, 2015 / 1:07 pm

Way to go, Jasso. It’s good people like you who keep us aware that when in a time of need, someone could be on the road and help when you least expect it.

9. Joseph Saturday, April 18, 2015 / 10:44 am

I would have done it for anyone.
    I truly believe in human kindness
    We as individuals should pay it forward. It is the golden rule, “Do unto others as they should do unto you.”

10. Amy Moraga Saturday, April 18, 2015 / 8:44 am

So proud of you, Mijo. That is so you. Our family hero.
    Love you.

11. C/O R. Askew Saturday, April 18, 2015 / 4:35 am

Mr. Jasso, God bless you and that truck driver who assisted, for saving the crash victim’s life. Did you have any idea you were going to be a hero on April 10th when you woke up that morning? Thank you for taking that courageous, selfless act of saving another person’s life.

12. Tuntakit Friday, April 17, 2015 / 2:03 pm

Great job! Way to keep focused and calm during a critical incident.

13. Vanessa Renee Jasso Friday, April 17, 2015 / 12:13 pm

I’m so proud of you. Great job. Go Navy!

14. Elizabeth Henshaw Friday, April 17, 2015 / 10:08 am

Bravo. Nicely done. That was heroic!

15. Tina Pangelinan Friday, April 17, 2015 / 10:01 am

Great job, Mr. Jasso. I feel honored working with someone who displays your characteristics of courage and heroism.

16. joe.mcatee@cdcr.ca.gov Friday, April 17, 2015 / 9:48 am

Great Job. It is a pleasure knowing and working with you. Not everyone would run into a situation that places you at risk. Mr. Jasso, you went above and beyond to serve another. My hat is off to you.

17. Sally Morrison Friday, April 17, 2015 / 9:17 am

Over and over we read about CDCR employees going above and beyond. It just goes to show the simple act of helping another human being in a time of dire need stands out above and beyond any other accomplishment. To see this brings tears to my eyes, much more so than a “promotion” or any other feat.

• Joseph Monday, April 20, 2015 / 7:07 pm

Thank you. Human kindness is a great thing

18. Conchita Carter Friday, April 17, 2015 / 9:13 am