John Westphal

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) reported the passing of Correctional Officer John R. Westphal on Aug. 3.

Officer Westphal started with CDCR on Nov. 14, 1988 at California State Prison, Corcoran.

During his 26-year career, he worked at the Correctional Training Facility, Salinas Valley State Prison, California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility, and North Kern State Prison before settling at KVSP in March 2011.

1. jason valoff Friday, October 23, 2015 / 1:37 pm

John was one of best supervisors I ever had. He was a outstanding armory Sergeant at SVSP. At CSATF, he was the best lieutenant to work for on C yard. John, you will be missed. I love you, brother.

2. Edwin R. Gonzalez Tuesday, August 18, 2015 / 11:17 pm

John was the first officer I worked with when I started the Department in 1990. I learned a lot from him. We went from CTF, to SVSP, to SATF to NKSP, and in all three prisons I was there to learn from him. Then he went to KVSP. He will greatly be missed. R.I.P., John. You will be missed.

3. Jimmy Henry Sunday, August 16, 2015 / 3:56 pm

I’m very sorry to have heard about the passing of a very hardworking intelligent individual, who came to my rescue when I needed. John was very knowledgeable when it came to policies and procedures. I’m sure he helped a lot of people because of his knowledge on and off the job. I’m still shocked about the news of his passing. John will be deeply missed. I will continue to pray for his family and friends.

Jimmy Henry NKSP

4. Soren Harvey Tuesday, August 11, 2015 / 7:33 pm

I always knew John to be a positive guy, with a smile on his face. I never saw him in a bad mood, or had a negative experience around him. John is gone way too soon, and will be sorely missed. Rest in peace brother.

5. Brother in Christ Friday, August 7, 2015 / 8:00 pm

John is one of the greatest mentors I have ever looked up to. He left behind a 19-year-old daughter. If you would like to help, go to the KVSP Facebook page. We will take care of your daughter, John. Love you, brother.

6. Micheal Robb Friday, August 7, 2015 / 11:38 am

I was honored to work with John Westphal. I will miss his sense of humor. He will always be remembered as a good man. I pray for comfort for his friends, family and coworkers in this difficult time.

7. Chuck Morey Wednesday, August 5, 2015 / 9:24 am

John was one of a kind.
    A soldier when you needed him to be, and a teacher when you least expected it. John knew laws, policies and codes like the rest of us know the alphabet.
    I had the pleasure to work with him, and to represent him, while he was at North Kern.
    Goodbye, Prison Guard Johnny.

8. Todd Pfeiffer Tuesday, August 4, 2015 / 2:25 pm

Gonna miss you, Johnny.
    Love you, bro.
    Todd

9. mike.barron Tuesday, August 4, 2015 / 2:08 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of the unfortunate passing of a good brother I had the pleasure of working with. R.I.P., brother. You will be missed. May you have peace with the Lord.