Parole Agent to plunge down side of Fresno skyscraper

Parole Agent Patricia Tuman is raising funds for Girl Scouts by rappelling down the side of a skyscraper. Some local Girl Scouts and members of the Clovis Clash youth football cheer squad are helping with the fundraiser.

Rappelling event raises funds for Girl Scouts

By Don Chaddock, Inside CDCR editor

Parole Agent Patricia Tuman is about to take a steep plunge off the side of a Fresno skyscraper to benefit an organization she holds dear – the Girl Scouts.

Called “Over the Edge,” the Sept. 19 fundraiser allows the participant to rappel down the side of a building by raising $1,000.

This is the latest way she has been involved with the scouts.

Agent Tuman was a Brownie and Girl Scout.

“I did patch work, sold the cookies, learned survival skills and a ton of other positive ways to approach life and its obstacles,” she said. “It helped build my own personal courage, confidence and character.”

Parole Agent Patricia Tuman.

Parole Agent Patricia Tuman.

She started her scouting at age 7 and when she became a mother, she continued being involved in the program.

“I became a Scout Leader in 1998 to start my own girls out right,” she said. “One is currently a Correctional Officer at Kern Valley State Prison. My youngest (daughter) is a substitute teacher and softball coach at a local community college.”

In 1996, Agent Tuman started her career with the department as a Correctional Officer at Pleasant Valley State Prison. She had already served her country in the U.S. Army for nearly nine years, leaving the military to “embrace motherhood,” she said.

“Joining the department was the best move ever,” Tuman said.

She is a mother of three, two of them daughters, and worked as a Correctional Officer on the line until 1999. Then, she became the armory officer.

“I was, of course, a range master and chemical agents instructor as well as an armorer for all of the departmental weapons,” she said.

In 2001, she completed the 39th Special Emergency Response Team (SERT) Academy.

“I became a tactical firearms instructor for the team and assisted at the SERT Academy,” she said. “They were some of the best years of my life.”

In 2008, she became a Correctional Counselor I.

She went through the Parole Agent Academy in 2010.

“I’m currently assigned to Region 1, Central GPS as a Parole Agent I,” she said. “I am a Range Master, PAST instructor and First Aid Instructor. I teach annual Firearms Policy and Use of Force. I thoroughly enjoy my job and the challenges it presents to me daily.”

She recommends Girl Scouts.

“Any age is a good age to become a Girl Scout,” she said. “They offer programs for girls from kindergarten to high school, from ages 5 to 18.”

Agent Tuman, a grandmother of seven, is active and said this will be an easy rappel.

Parole Agent Patricia Tuman regularly competes in the Police and Fire Games.

Parole Agent Patricia Tuman regularly competes in the Police and Fire Games.

“It’s going to be a very controlled descent,” she said. “I have rappelled plenty as a SERT member, but I’m pretty sure, this is going to be the easiest drop I’ve ever done.”

She stays fit, regularly hitting the gym.

“I’m all about wanting to stay healthy and strong and workout on a consistent basis,” she said. “I’ve also been shooting competitively at the U.S. Police and Fire Games for over 10 years. It’s something my husband and I share an interest in and it’s a great hobby.”

She’s active on duty as well as at home.

“I live an active, off-duty lifestyle and have no intentions on changing any of it. It’s great being involved in positive things for our community,” she said.

Her personal fundraising goal for the event is $2,500.

(Editor’s Note: Some websites may not be accessible from a CDCR computer.)

To learn more and contribute, visit https://donate.girlscoutsccs.org/cdcr

1. Paula DArtenay Thursday, September 1, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Pat you are one heck of a lady and role model and it was a pleasure working with you at PVSP

2. J. Gonzalez Sunday, September 27, 2015 / 12:23 am

I’m glad to see that you are still going strong. I knew you would do great things when we were in 39 Basic together. I’m still protecting the sheep down south. Be safe. “With you.”

3. Sherri Diaz Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 9:23 pm

Mom, you always have and always will be my #1 inspiration. You have achieved so much in your career, and I can only hope to achieve half of what you’ve accomplished. You’ve definitely set the bar high, but I’m grateful for that. You’ve taught me anything is attainable. If I want it, go get it! Thank you for not only being a great mom, but a great grandma, and a great role model to so many.

4. TB Monday, August 31, 2015 / 4:53 am

PT.
    You are one of my heroes in this crazy life I have lived. You are an inspiration to me and everyone whose path you cross.
    Thank you for doing what you do!

5. Y.J. Castillo Sunday, August 30, 2015 / 9:38 am

Reading this from down here at CIM, you seem to be such an inspiration. I commend you for all your hard work you’ve exampled in your career, community and most of all as a woman/mother. Great job from one mother to another!!

• Pat Thursday, September 3, 2015 / 4:08 am

Thank you Y. J. Life is what we make it 🙂

6. Jacki Tuman Friday, August 28, 2015 / 4:00 pm

That’s my mom! She’s amazing. She has always been an amazing romodel for my sister and I and I’m so glad she’s been able to impact more young ladies. Love you, mom.

7. Steven.Comer Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 7:17 pm

“Tojours Pret Sister” Your job gives you authority. Your behavior gives you respect. Please continue to inspire and motivate others. If you ever get bored, we can use your gifts to recruit candidates to the Department. Stay safe, Stay strong. God bless you.

• Pat Thursday, September 3, 2015 / 4:09 am

Well, I am looking at retiring pretty soon; you got an annuitant position? lol

8. V. Carr Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:32 am

Tuman, you never cease to amaze me. You are such an inspiration to so many people! I can proudly say I had the pleasure of working with you.

• pat Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:56 am

Thank you so much for the kind words 🙂 I surely do miss all those peeps at PVSP 🙂

9. pat Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:07 am

OMG! Love that comment. Not really much of a reality show chick, though. It did bring a huge smile to my face. Thanks.

10. Sandra Cardoza Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 9:22 am

“Make new friends, but keep the old, one is Silver and the other’s Gold.” Girl Scouts USA.
    My favorite Girl Scout song. You are a true leader and epitomize the character building that Girl Scouts is all about. Kudos to you!

• pat Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:06 am

Thank you, Sandra. Loved that saying.

11. John Mendiboure Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 9:12 am

Awesome job, Pat! Great to see community involvement from departmental staff.
    Keep up the great work, you are making all of us proud.

Stay safe out there,
    John

• pat Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:06 am

Thanks, John. Just trying to keep up with you and the life-saving moves you’ve been accomplishing. Inspiring!

12. J. Carrillo Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 9:07 am

What an interesting career path you’ve had, Agent Tuman. You are an excellent role model not only for the Girl Scouts, but also for your children, grandchildren and co-workers as well. My only question is, “Why haven’t they made a reality show about you already?” It would be much more valuable to the world than anything Kardashian-related.

• Pat Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 2:50 pm

Thank you, sir. Any show would be more valuable than the Kardashians. That’s a fact!