Services listed for Wasco Associate Warden killed in accident

Associate Warden Steven "Troy" Ojeda was killed in a car accident Aug. 26 while on his way to work.

Associate Warden Steven “Troy” Ojeda was killed in a car accident Aug. 26 while on his way to work.

Wasco State Prison-Reception Center reported the passing of Associate Warden Steven “Troy” Ojeda on Aug. 26.

He was killed in an automobile accident while on his way to work.

He began his career with the department as a Correctional Officer in 1990.

He held the positions of Correctional Sergeant, Correctional Lieutenant, Correctional Counselor and Correctional Captain.

After beginning his career at the California Men’s Colony, he took on assignments at Wasco State Prison and North Kern State Prison, before returning to Wasco in 2010 as Associate Warden.

Services 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 5 at the Atascadero Bible Church,  6225 Atascadero Mall,  Atascadero, CA 93422.

A Celebration of Life will at 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 5 agt the Templeton Park, Old Country Road and 5th St., Templeton, CA.

Wasco State Prison-Reception Center will hold a memorial service from 9 to 10 a.m. at the In-service Training Building.  His family plans on attending this service also.

1. D. Davis WSP/RC Retired Thursday, September 3, 2015 / 3:55 pm

I remember Troy Ojeda when he first transferred from CMC and promoted to Sergeant at Wasco sometime around 1995. He was an excellent Supervisor and Manager and treated everybody with the same respect. He was a good person to work with and to work for. May you rest in peace. My condolences to the Ojeda family.

2. C. BLACKWELL Thursday, September 3, 2015 / 4:15 am

My condolences to the Ojeda family. I have fond memories of this man who made my life so much more pleasant during my time at WSP. There were many stressful day that his jovial personality helped to get me through. My heart is heavy with grief for his family and friends who I know is missing him tremendously. You were a great man, Troy.

3. Susan Adams (Coakley) Thursday, September 3, 2015 / 2:38 am

I met Troy when I came to WSP-RC in 1996. He was a great Sergeant and a terrific guy. He was so kind and always had time for anyone. He will be sadly missed. My condolences for his family and loved ones, bless your hearts. I pray God surround you with his love and his peace always.
    Rest in peace, Troy.

4. Lt. George & Ana Ledbetter Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 11:00 pm

There are no words to describe the grief in our hearts after this terrible tragedy. Since we each started our respective careers in WSP in 1998, AW Ojeda was the most gracious and respectful sergeant a newcomer can encounter. We are deeply sorry for this loss. May God see his family through this difficult time.

5. BJ Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 7:04 pm

Dear Troy, although you left so suddenly, we will never forget the true person you were, not the A.W. of Wasco State Prison, not the man that those who only knew the man who smiled and played games, but the man who was a husband, a father, brother, son. We who knew you from the inside out, the one who cried while holding Christian as he was having seizures, the one who sang songs to him to comfort him during those moments, the father who played with Dayton when you were not too tired because of work, the husband who loved his wife and wanted nothing more but to be happy, even though in last couple of years things might have changed, but I know the love you had for those who loved you more than life itself. Troy, you will be missed but not forgotten. Only those who wished they had one more day to say they loved you, for Dayton to have one more day to be with his father, just one more day for Christian to be held by his father. I loved you, Troy, and really wanted you to be happy no matter what. I know now nothing matters anymore except now we take care of your boys, and I promise you I will be there for those boys. I will hold C-bear and sing to him as he has seizures, I will play with Dayton as much as I can, no one can replace you in your boys’ life, however just know they will always have someone to hold on to. May you rest in peace, Troy. Love ya much, BJ.

6. Lt. M. Palmer Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 5:26 pm

Rest in peace, my brother. You gave me my first write-up. At the time, I didn’t uderstand it. Over the years, your leadership taught me so much and led me to understand and respect you. My prayers are with your family. Until we meet again….at our final EOW.

7. John Olmedo Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 5:21 pm

I have the highest respect for this man. He never showed favoritism and always gave everybody that same respect. I will always remember his laugh. We have lost a great man. May God bless him and my deepest condolences to his family and children. Rest in peace, my brother.

8. Pam Hernandez Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 12:23 pm

My heart is grieved for you and your family. You were always so nice and approachable and so intelligent. Our thoughts and prayers are for you for such a great loss.

9. C. Cody Wednesday, September 2, 2015 / 11:22 am

Rest in paradise.

10. e.ortiz Tuesday, September 1, 2015 / 11:48 pm

It’s been a few years since I have seen Mr. Ojeda, but I knew he was there. Everyone who spoke about him only had good things to say. What a great loss. I am saddened.

11. A. Mullins Tuesday, September 1, 2015 / 9:48 am

Troy, when I began my career, you were my Sergeant on B yard at WSP. It was always a pleasure working with you and for you. My prayers for your family. You will be truly missed. God bless your family in this most painful time…..

12. T.Burkett, Ret Sgt WSP Saturday, August 29, 2015 / 9:17 am

A truly beautiful man. It was a joy working with Ojeda at WSP.
    Ojeda’s family and friends were blessed with his presence.
    Please take comfort in knowing that he is in the arms of the Lord.

13. Scott & Norma Mckee Friday, August 28, 2015 / 9:03 pm

May God comfort the Ojeda family in this most difficult time. Our prayers for you all. Troy was indeed one of the good guys we had the pleasure of working with at WSP. So tragic!

14. Flowers Friday, August 28, 2015 / 8:23 pm

Troy, you were a great boss. You always had time to stop and chat and say hello when I saw you out in the Facility or just passing in the hallway. Rest in peace, my friend and prayers to you and your loved ones.

15. Karen Dawson Friday, August 28, 2015 / 3:50 pm

I am sending my condolences to the Ojeda family during this time. This is such a sad loss. RIP.

16. S. Albers Friday, August 28, 2015 / 12:09 pm

So very sad. Thoughts and prayers from CCC.

17. C. Walters Friday, August 28, 2015 / 10:01 am

Troy, I will never forget that one important lesson you taught me. I will use it throughout my career. Thank you, sir. God bless your family and friends.

18. B. Miller Friday, August 28, 2015 / 8:15 am

Troy you will truly be missed.
    When your heart is empty, filling it with happy memories can help you find his smile.
    Our last conversation, you said you were tired. Now you are at rest. My condolences to his family.

• NATASHA MILLER Friday, August 28, 2015 / 11:54 am

Troy,
      I only had the pleasure of meeting you once, just a few months ago. But it is an encounter I will never forget. You welcomed me with a smile and a great conversation filled with nothing but laughter. Based on the way my mother (B.Miller) and others have spoken of you, I can tell that you were truly loved. You will be missed. May you rest in peace. God bless.

19. Dave Sherwood WSP/RC (Retired) Friday, August 28, 2015 / 7:17 am

“Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference in your tone. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Ley my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is this death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner. All is well.”

Troy, I enjoyed working with both you and your father Steve over the years and express my heartfelt condolences to your Family!

20. scot vonda Friday, August 28, 2015 / 3:57 am

Sad day for the family.

Deep condolences. He was a good man.

21. C/O R. Askew Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:13 pm

My prayers and condolences to AW Ojeda’s family and all his co-workers.
    No one who lives in our hearts ever truly leaves. May your memories give you solace, bring a smile to your face, and a story to pass on to others.

22. E. Sandoval Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 8:52 pm

Will miss you!

23. Wasco State Prison Food Service Department Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 7:16 pm

We all had the honor to work for Troy here in the Food Service Department. Troy always greeted us with a smile and showed genuine concern for his staff. His door was always open to listen to us when we needed him. Working in Food Services is sometimes stressful and hectic. He was always there to listen to our suggestions and our concerns. He always wanted our input and opinions on how to make Food Service improve. There are not a lot of Supervisors like him and probably will never be again. This whole department is morning the loss of a great supervisor and friend. We pray for his family and all who knew him and cared for him.

24. Steven.Comer Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 7:16 pm

It takes a special person who accepted a leadership role and is fondly remembered how he got there – by mentoring and being positive. May God bring everyone peace through this difficult time.

25. D. Aviles Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 4:12 pm

“A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed.” Troy, you did so many good deeds and it is clear you left an impression on so many lives. Thank you for all your support and it was an honor to work with you these past several years. May you rest in peace.

26. Dez Timmons Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 3:51 pm

I didn’t get a chance to meet Mr. Ojeda, but reading the remarks lets me know that he was a well respected, compassionate, genuine man who was well loved and treated his staff with respect. May God comfort your family at this time. RIP

27. J. Carrillo Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 3:45 pm

You said “My schedule is full today” the last time that we talked.
    Saying “We won’t get to review that report,” as away you walked.
    I said “If you find a few minutes, I’ll come by, just give me a call.”
    You said “Thank you, sir” and disappeared around the corner of the hall.
    Yet we never spoke again nor sat in your office for one last meeting,
    Thinking there’d be next month, not knowing your time left was fleeting.
    The next time I saw you through my window, you smiled and waved as you walked past.
    I waved back, neither of us knowing that brief exchange would be our last.
    When people heard what happened, they all said “It can’t be true!”
    And that “These things aren’t supposed to happen to really good guys” like you.
    You were so confident and inspired others to believe in themselves, too.
    You had a smile for everyone and were a friend to all you knew.
    That’s why so many hearts are heavy with mourning at Wasco today,
    As are many other hearts elsewhere you touched along the way.
    I’m just one of many saddened that your time with us is through,
    But the common feeling is that each was glad to have known you.
    So, let me reschedule that meeting for when I, too, reach the Promised Land.
    I know you’ll say “Hello, sir!” with that big smile and shake my hand.
    Now let our prayers be sent up through tightened voices and falling tears,
    For your family, friends, and co-workers blessed to know you through the years.
    Undoubtedly, anytime these people begin to reminisce,
    When someone brings up your name, you’ll hear “Troy’s one I’ll always miss!”

• K. Bozarth Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 4:09 pm

You couldn’t have wrote anything better. That is beautiful, Jeff.

• Lt. M. D. Williams, CCWF Friday, August 28, 2015 / 7:00 am

My Lord please help the hurting hearts. Amen.
      Sir, thank you for expressing with us (who did not know this great man), how great he truly was.
      God Bless all affected in this loss. Sounds like God plucked another one of his amazing flowers.

Lt. M. D. Williams
      Central California Women’s Facility

• Julie Thompson Friday, August 28, 2015 / 9:01 am

What a wonderfully written tribute, great way to honor a friend and peer.

• Carolyn Florez Friday, August 28, 2015 / 10:24 am

Chris, nicely said. Troy was a wonderful guy whom I had the pleasure to work with at NKSP and you are so right. Right now, our prayers are sent through tightened voices and falling (streaming) tears.
      And to the family, there are no words of true comfort at this moment, but we will have tons of good memories to treasure when the shock and sadness fades away. I hope you find some peace during this time of sorrow.

28. Sgt. Jose Padilla Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 2:30 pm

Sir,
    Thank you for your many years of dedication. There are no words that I can say that your actions didn’t already say. You are a prime example of a good leader who didnt forget where he came from. It was a pleasure to have known and worked with you at NKSP.

Now you are in a better place. May your family, friends and coworkers be comforted during this time.

Godspeed, sir.

29. L. Langley Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 2:24 pm

Great boss, great Dad, and wonderful person. He will be greatly missed. My prayers to his family.

30. michael.tuntakit@cdcr.ca.gov Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 1:51 pm

On behalf of ASP, our deepest condolences and prayers are with his friends and family. Sorry for your loss.

31. janice Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 1:38 pm

Condolences and prayers to the Family Friends and all of his CDCR Wasco family during this painful journey. Rest well among the angels. EOW 08/26/15
    From the Food Service Staff at Calipatria State Prison

32. M. Fernandez Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 1:31 pm

Sending prayers to Mr. Ojeda’s family and his Wasco family, from CSP-Sacramento.

33. Lt. S. Duncan Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 1:02 pm

RIP, Troy.

34. T. Reece Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:43 pm

What a sad loss. I am sending my condolences to his family and his Wasco family as well. May he rest in peace.

35. S. Lindsey Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:22 pm

Sending my condolences to the family. Prayers and sympathies from HDSP.

36. Anthony Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:21 pm

R.I.P., Troy. I will be praying for you and your family.

37. K. Bozarth Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:12 pm

He was wonderful to work for and with. He took the time to get to know staff and brought smiles to our faces. He is already truly missed. This is a trajedy. My heart goes out to his loved ones. Cherish everday you have.

38. Dianna Snow Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Troy was one of the finest men I have ever known. His compassion and genuine concern for others was obvious in all that he did. His passing is such a loss to all who were blessed with knowing him. Prayers for peace and comfort to his family, loved ones and extended CDCR familty during this difficult time.

39. Louie Escobell Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Sad day. Our prayers to family and friends

40. B. STRINGER MTA Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 12:01 pm

My prayers to Troy’s family. Met him at WSP in 1996 as a Sergeant. One of the best.
    Rest easy. You’ve been relieved, sir.
    MTA Stringer, WSP 1996-2005

41. Joel Young Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:51 am

My prayers for the family.

42. Alara Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:33 am

Sending out my condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Ojeda. Peace be with you!

43. C. Bartee Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:32 am

I am truly sorry for his family and their loss. Gods speed! R.I.P. AW Troy.

44. K. Perez Thursday, August 27, 2015 / 11:28 am

Sympathies and prayers from CRC.