Pleasant Valley State Prison helps connect inmate with dying child

By Lt. Reagen Athey, AA/Public Information Officer Pleasant Valley State Prison

Pleasant Valley State Prison officials received a request from Tri-Counties Make-A-Wish Foundation and worked with the group to help connect a dying child with her incarcerated father.

Born with an incurable disease, the 2-and-a-half year old child wanted to spend a little time with her father. The doctors don’t expect her to reach her third birthday.

Make-A-Wish contacted the prison and arrangements were made for the child and the child’s mother to visit the incarcerated father.

The visitors received a rental car, a one-night hotel stay near the institution, and were given money for food, provided through the foundation.

This was the only visit the inmate has had with his daughter.

PVSP staff took photos for the family during the visit between the incarcerated father and his daughter, which may be the last time he’ll ever get to hold his little girl, according to officials. The identities of the inmate and the family are being kept private.

1. Grandma's lil STAR, Nina Monday, October 26, 2015 / 3:48 pm

My beloved daughter and son reunite with each other while he is incarcerated made me a happy mom and grandma. My son loves his little girl Nina so much that is his princess his baby girl who he holds in his heart. I am so grateful to Make A Wish Foundation and the PVSP staff who made it all this possible for my son to get to hold his beautiful daughter. My Nina, my little Star! Grandma loves you with all her heart.

2. Nina of Nina Sunday, October 25, 2015 / 3:23 am

i thank God first for making everything happen…through the storm, we still keep the faith because I know my God is bigger than anything that seems impossible. “God is with us” and I thank the foundation for opening the doors for my god-daughter to see her daddy she loves and misses so much. She is his sun-shiny days, his heart, and baby love. Thanks again for making my brother and my god-daughter have that time to spend together. Thanks again..
    — A very grateful sister and nina to the bestest, most beautiful Angelbaby…the strongest little big girl I know and love

3. Rosie Sunday, September 27, 2015 / 3:55 pm

That was nice of them to let the father spend time with the 2-year-old child.

4. Karen Dawson Friday, September 18, 2015 / 3:10 pm

That was a great thing that they did. Those moments he spent with his child are priceless.

5. Christine Nolan Friday, September 18, 2015 / 10:29 am

I pray this event touches the hearts of everyone who reads this and helps them understand the quality and value of life.

6. M.S. Tuesday, September 15, 2015 / 6:27 pm

Aw, that was so nice. Happy to hear there are such caring people to assist with the opportunity for the 2 year old.

7. Loren Tuesday, September 15, 2015 / 4:20 pm

Thank you PVSP for doing this for the family. My husband was locked up there and the staff was always super nice to my son and me went we went to visit. This makes my heart melt. Thank you PVSP for having a heart.

8. Joy Tuesday, September 15, 2015 / 10:09 am

It is good to know that there are people who can show compassion for those living behind bars. Thank you to the Make A Wish Foundation and all who made this happen.