Roy Chavez

A charitable event raised funds for Correctional Officer Roy Chavez, who in turn, chose to donate those funds to the UC Davis Children's Hospital. Officer Chavez is battling a serious illness.

A charitable event raised funds for Correctional Officer Roy Chavez, who in turn, chose to donate those funds to the UC Davis Children’s Hospital. Officer Chavez, seated, was battling a serious illness and passed away less than two months later.

Mule Creek State Prison reported the passing of Correctional Officer Roy Chavez on Sept. 25.

Officer Chavez started his career with the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) at the Richard A. McGee Correctional Training Center on Aug. 7, 1989. Upon graduation from the Academy, Officer Chavez’ first assignment was at San Quentin State Prison on Sept. 25, 1989.

Officer Chavez transferred to Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP) on Jan, 2, 1990 to continue his career with CDCR as an Officer.

This year, MCSP raised $20,000 for Officer Chavez during the 9th annual Golf Tournament, held at Castle Oaks Golf Course.

Because of Officer Chavez’ selfless generosity, all of the proceeds from the golf tournament went to the UC Davis Children’s Hospital, Child Life and Creative Arts Therapy Program. On Aug. 6, Officer Chavez, in a small ceremony, presented a check for $20,000 to the UC Davis Children’s Hospital. He is survived by his mother.

Read the Above the Call story on Officer Chavez, http://www.insidecdcr.ca.gov/2015/08/officer-battling-illness-donates-funds-to-cancer-stricken-children/

1. K.Kjonaas Tuesday, October 6, 2015 / 11:45 pm

My sincerest sympathy for such a great loss to his family and all of us as friends who knew Chavez. It was nice to work with him at “The Creek.” He truly had a big heart, which was evident by his selfless donation to a great cause. Roy, your humor will be missed! Until we meet again, my friend.

2. Steven. Comer Thursday, October 1, 2015 / 2:23 pm

My sincerest condolences to the family, friends and co-workers of Officer Chavez. May God grant you peace through this difficult time.

3. william Coulson Wednesday, September 30, 2015 / 2:07 pm

A fine example of the human spirit and an example to us all!

4. Sandra Cardoza Wednesday, September 30, 2015 / 10:18 am

Such a noble act from a generous heart. Rest in peace kind sir. Our Lord is welcoming you home.

5. Stephanie.Moss@cdcr.ca.gov Wednesday, September 30, 2015 / 9:39 am

My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Chavez’s family and friends at this time. I pray they find some measure of peace and joy in the midst of their sorrow.
    Let them have joy in rememberance of the joy that Officer Chavez brought to their lives. Let them have peace in knowing that he’s no longer suffering.

I remember the all the times that Officer Chavez and I worked together and I’m thankful for having worked with such a kind, professional, dedicated Officer.

6. J. Carrillo Wednesday, September 30, 2015 / 9:05 am

I never met this gentleman, but based on his selfless act to help out the children’s hospital, I wish I had the chance to know him. Prayers for his mother whom surely is heartbroken following the loss of her son.

7. kevin.brown2@cdcr.ca.gov Tuesday, September 29, 2015 / 7:48 pm

It was nice getting work with you big Roy! You will be missed but not forgotten. Rest in peace, brother.