Ramona Lopez

Wasco State Prison – Reception Center (WSP-RC) reported the passing of retired Case Records Technician Ramona Lopez on Nov. 21.

Her service began as a volunteer from October 1997 to March 1998. She started her state service with Wasco State Prison-Reception Center (WSP-RC) in April 1998 as an Office Technician. She retired from WSP-RC as Correctional Case Records Technician in August 2015.

1. Michelle Patterson Friday, December 4, 2015 / 11:49 am

Ramona will truly be missed. She always had a warm friendly smile with motherly advice to go along. There’s nothing more touching than what Jeff wrote and nothing more real about such a kind person.

2. Brenda Barnes Thursday, December 3, 2015 / 11:24 am

I wish there were more Ramonas. What a wonderful blessing for those who worked with her. My prayers go out to those who worked with her and her family. We do have angels working among us, that go unnoticed. Thank you for taking the time to provide this wonderful tribute to Ramona. God bless you and your family.

3. Pat Price Wednesday, December 2, 2015 / 10:21 am

Well said Jeff, and so very true of her.

4. Jeff Carrillo Monday, November 30, 2015 / 1:51 pm

A few months before her retirement, I saw Ramona in the hallway one day while I was trying to get over being sick and still wasn’t feeling very good. She was always one of those motherly figures in the Records department and she didn’t hesitate to tell me to take care of myself, get some rest and that she would pray for me to feel better. I had no idea at the time that she was silently battling her own very serious health concerns. She wasn’t the kind to complain about her situation, choosing to focus on others’ concerns rather than her own. One day later on when I could see that she didn’t appear to be feeling well, I asked if she was feeling okay and she paused for a second, seemingly reluctant to answer. It was like she was trying to figure out how to delicately break the bad news – even at a time when she may have felt miserable, that precious little saint was trying not to upset me or cause me to worry about her. She indicated she wasn’t in good health and asked me to pray for her even as she put on a sad, but brave little smile. Soon after, family and friends gathered to celebrate her retirement in August of this year. It was an honor to be part of that event and to see so many people show up to share their support for her, but tragically, only a few short months later, she passed from this world.
    As her daughter delivered the eulogy, she spoke of how proud her mother was to work for the State, but in my opinion, it is the State of California, CDCR, and Wasco State Prison that should be proud to have been fortunate enough to count among their ranks an employee such as Ramona. Many times in this department we bestow accolades and acclaim on those people that reach the highest positions and those that commit heroic acts of bravery in critical moments, but let us also take a moment to recognize and reflect upon the examples demonstrated by Ramona, a woman that came to work and fulfilled her CRT role in a professional manner from which we all could learn as employees. More importantly, she lovingly raised her family and proved that despite whatever challenges we may face in our own lives, we can and should still make a point to look beyond ourselves and show caring for those around us, an example from which we all could learn as people. She demonstrated the strength of character and dedication to set these examples both inside and outside of the workplace on a daily basis. Not because she sought recognition, but because she felt that was the right manner in which one should act.
    When I was younger, my father told me that when they were designing the layout of Wasco State Prison, the decision was made to plant roses along the fence near the front entrance both as a symbol of the city of Wasco and also due to the concept that just because prisons are not beautiful places, it doesn’t mean one has to look ugly. The philosophy being that a prison is not a paradise; however, that doesn’t mean a prison has to be a wholly negative place, so we can choose to find ways to make the place more uplifting and positive than would seem likely given the inherent nature of the setting. Instead of focusing on the negative deeds and lifestyles of a few thousand inmates housed at the prison which could cause one to develop a cynical outlook on humanity, being blessed with the presence of a co-worker like Ramona instead reminds a person of the level of caring and beautiful spirit of selflessness which one can find inspiring in another person. Yes, even while working in a prison. So thank you, Ramona, for being one of the human equivalents of the roses we pass each morning as we arrive at work, one that brought warmth and beauty to a place many would assume to be cold and gloomy. Thank God and your family for sharing you with us. We will miss you here, but I know you are with the Lord and as you would want, our prayers will be for your family. May He grace your family and other loved ones with His peace and may they find great comfort in knowing that you had a wonderful human impact during your time here on Earth. These halls will always be better for you having passed through them.

• Richard Williams Tuesday, December 1, 2015 / 10:58 am

What a beautiful tribute!

• Jennifer Ogborn Thursday, December 3, 2015 / 5:29 pm

That is such a beautiful story about Ramona.