Retired Folsom Prison Warden Robert Borg passes away at 77; services set

After an extended battle with multiple myeloma, Robert G. “Bob” Borg, beloved husband and father, died on Nov. 21, 2015, in Roseville at the age of 77. Services will be 1 p.m. Friday, Dec. 11 at the Folsom Community Center, 52 Natoma Street, Folsom.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the The American Cancer Society or Placer Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Retired Folsom Prison Warden Robert "Bob" Borg passed away at the age of 77.

Retired Folsom Prison Warden Robert “Bob” Borg passed away at the age of 77. (CDCR archive photo.)

Bob was born on July 5, 1938 in Moline, IL, to Roy C. Borg and Elzada Marie Borg. After graduating from high school, he joined the Air Force and was eventually stationed at McClellan Air Force Base, where he met and married Diana Wiley, beginning their more than 57-year marriage.

Upon his honorable discharge from the Air Force in 1960, he had already secured a job as a Correctional Officer at Folsom State Prison, and his 32-year career in state service began. He then worked at 11 institutions and promoted through the ranks ultimately retiring as the Warden of Folsom State Prison in 1992; ironically right where he had started.

While a Lieutenant assigned as the Training Manager at the California Medical Facility, he was instrumental in developing the initial Departmental Training Academy and the statewide Apprenticeship Program, greatly enhancing the professionalism within the department.

Later, he worked as a retired annuitant for the Department when he developed and facilitated a Wardens Peer Interactive Training Program and mentored newer, less experienced administrators who were facing violence problems, among many other things. He went on to work for the Republic of Malta, establishing procedures for discipline, classification, perimeter and interior security, supervision of inmates and staff, staff training, searches, emergency response, and transportation of inmates. In addition to the Republic of Malta, he worked with other corrections departments including Indiana, New Mexico and Arizona. He also spent over 20 years as a consultant and expert witness for the US Department of Justice, various Attorneys General, and private attorneys in court cases related to corrections.

More than anything, Bob loved his family. He is survived by his wife Diana, his children Steve Borg and Wendy Burgess, his grandchildren Shaina Borg and Paul and Jessica Burgess, and his sister, Carolyn Domzalski.

He and Diana also shared a love of dogs, sometimes having up to five. They were always willing to dog sit or foster dogs and they could be seen walking multiple dogs around the streets of Sun City Lincoln Hills.  Bob always carried a pocket full of treats for every dog he met…knowing all by their names.

Bob suffered from Lymphoma in 2001 but was in full remission by 2003. In 2011, he was again stricken with cancer – Multiple Myeloma. He fought long and hard, continuing to play up to 30 games of racquetball a week and work in his yard until December 2014.

Bob and Diana took their last of over 20 cruises in October 2015, and he fell seriously ill shortly after. He was out of treatment options for multiple myeloma and Bob lost his fight in the evening of November 21, 2015, with Steve and Wendy by his side.

1. Joe Caruso Monday, June 26, 2017 / 10:41 am

I met Mr. Borg at a trial in L.A. County. An inmate was suing about five of us Officers and Mr. Borg was our expert witness. When he told the the judge his very impressive credentials, the judge frankly dismissed the inmate’s expert witness and then thanked Mr. Borg for his service before dismissing him. I had a chance to “talk” it up with Mr. Borg for several hours that day..those several hours made impressions on me that I remember some 16 years later. To all Mr. Borg’s family and friends, sorry for your loss.

2. Ray Bailey Monday, February 22, 2016 / 10:23 pm

I recently learned of Bob’s passing. We were close friends, neighbors and racquetball competitors during the ’70s and ’80s. Bob was definitely one of a kind, and a guy everyone would be pleased to have as a friend.

My condolences to Diana, Steve, and Wendy.

3. Richard Huddleston Thursday, December 10, 2015 / 10:53 pm

To the family of Bob Borg: My condolences for your loss. I didn’t know Bob, but I know he was a good man just by the children he raised, Steve and Wendy. It’s not a loss, just a short separation and we all will be reunite if we all stand right with God. Your family is in my prayers

4. Carolyn Payne and Frank Alvarez Saturday, December 5, 2015 / 9:22 am

We were lucky enough to know Bob and Diana for the last 12 years as friends and neighbors. We took some fun RV trips together and our dogs and their dogs enjoyed many fun hours visiting and playing together. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Diana and you too Wendy!

5. L. Rojas Thursday, December 3, 2015 / 4:20 pm

Mr. Borg was old school visionary who wasn’t stuck in time. Quite often, he could be seen walking the yard, talking to inmates and staff alike. As a young, new CO in the department, he took the time to speak to me and paid me a compliment over the handling of a situation I had with inmates that he had observed. The man was a giant among men. My condolences to his wife and family, he will be missed.

• Wendy Burgess Friday, December 4, 2015 / 2:24 pm

Thank you!

6. Fran Conlin Monday, November 30, 2015 / 9:26 am

I first knew Mr. Borg as “Wendy’s dad” when I was eight years old, as Wendy and I became “best friends” in grade school in Vacaville. I’ve been fortunate to have maintained that friendship throughout my life and feel a bit like “family.” Bob’s passing will leave a void with his family and friends, but his legacy in this Department, as a well respected, hard working, intelligent, and dedicated administrator, will certainly live on. May his family find comfort and peace in the knowledge that his battle is over. Rest well now, Mr. Borg! No one deserves it more…

Fran Conlin
    CDCR – HR – Office of Employee Wellness

7. Paul F. Cook Sunday, November 29, 2015 / 5:37 pm

My condolences to Bob’s family. I worked for Bob at CRC and CIW. He was one of the most conscientious, hard working, dedicated and compassionate CDC managers I have known. He was an excellent racquetball player. We played every Sunday morning for several years. He was a very competitive man, on the court and in life. God rest his soul.

8. R. Lozano Friday, November 27, 2015 / 5:49 pm

Wow, what an amazing article for such an amazing man. My heart goes out to his lady, who is most likely devastated after losing the love of her life. My condolences to this lady, family and friends. Married for more than 57 years to the same woman says everything about this man. All his other accomplishments and successes are very admirable indeed. Such a great gentleman. May he rest in peace.

9. Jaime Shaw Friday, November 27, 2015 / 5:16 pm

To the family of Bob Borg: My condolences for your loss. I was fortunate enough to work with warden Borg as a c/o from 1979 until his retirement in 1992. It was certainly my pleasure to work for him. He will be missed by all who knew him. He was a great man, to say the least! RIP, Bob.

10. Dave Escoto Friday, November 27, 2015 / 12:33 pm

I was fortunate to have worked together with Mr. Borg as his Chief Deputy Warden. He was a man’s man who “took care of business.” Mr. Borg was straight forward, to the point and didn’t mince words, which was one of the things many admired in him. He will be sorely missed.

11. Art Calderon Wednesday, November 25, 2015 / 4:05 pm

My condolences to Mrs. Borg and the rest of the family. I worked with Bob on some projects for CDC and saw him frequently at regularly scheduled Warden’s meetings. I remember Bob as a hard working, dedicated and no nonsense type of guy. I respected him for that, a true professional in every way.

12. Robert L. Papac Wednesday, November 25, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Bob was an amazing man that I’ve known and worked with for over 40 years. He was a mentor, and above all, a good friend. When Windy sent me an E-Mail letting me know about her father’s passing, it was hard to hear, but brought a smile to my face when she told me that the entire family was at his side when he passed. Our entire CDCR family lost a departmental icon with Bob’s passing. My condolences to his entire family over this tragic loss.

13. daryl.scott@cdcr.ca.gov Wednesday, November 25, 2015 / 12:10 pm

I meet Mr. Borg as a 10-year-old child when we moved next door to him in 1970. As I watched him come and go in this uniform, I had no idea what the CDC was at the time. As a child of a single parent Mr. Borg would always include me in his father-and-son activities with Steve. I will forever cherish those experiences. As an adult I was fortunate to follow in his footsteps and join the CDCR. Throughout my 30-year carrier, his advice was again invaluable, as was all the lessons that he taught me as a child. I will dearly miss him.

14. Lt. M. D. Williams, CCWF Wednesday, November 25, 2015 / 11:21 am

What a wonderful article. Thank you OPEC staff. This gentleman has lived an honorable life. He had an amazing career in the Department. May God bless and comfort his family in their loss.

Lt. M. D. Williams
    Central California Women’s Facility

15. Robert Bandholtz Wednesday, November 25, 2015 / 11:06 am

Very inspirational man. He spoke at my graduation from the Correctional Officer Academy in 1989. My condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.