The 2015 State Employees Food Drive is seeking the assistance of CDCR staff in helping to ensure people don’t go hungry this winter.
It is estimated that approximately 245,000 men, women, and children in Sacramento alone are currently food insecure, lacking reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food.
The drive is from Nov. 9 to Jan. 15.
During the past year, the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services estimates that 150,000 individuals visit them in need of food each month, up from 45,000 per month in 2014.
Donation barrel sites
Donation barrels are at the following CDCR sites:
- 1515 S Street, North and South buildings.
- 1920 Birkmont Drive, Rancho Cordova
- 10000 Goethe Road, Building C
- 9838 Old Placerville Road, Suite B
- 8280 Longleaf Drive, Elk Grove
- 9838 Old Placerville Road, Suite B-2
If you don’t live in the Sacramento area
If you are not in Sacramento, you can find your local food bank at California Association Of Food Banks by clicking here.
The local food bank should provide the employee with a weight receipt, which would then be emailed to CDCR food drive coordinator Richard Barraza at firstname.lastname@example.org to allow CDCR staff to get credit for the donation.
What to donate
Please consider making a contribution to the Food Drive this year to help the Sacramento Food Bank meet these needs. The best types of food donations are those that are non-perishable and highly nutritious. Foods that are recommended for donation include the following:
- Canned tuna
- Canned vegetables
- Canned meats
- Macaroni and cheese
- Peanut butter
- Baby food, dry and/or canned, and baby formula.
Other ways to contribute
- Click here to make a money donation.
- Donate a turkey during the Turkey Drive on Nov. 20
- Participate in Sacramento’s annual Run to Feed the Hungry 5k race on Nov. 26
Regardless of how you contribute, it all goes toward showing CDCR as having the most generous staff in the state.
Thank you for your support and for your help in making this year’s Food Drive successful.