Correctional Officer killed in car crash near Reno

Correctional Officer John Abraham.

Correctional Officer John Abraham.

A correctional officer working at High Desert State Prison (HDSP) was killed Feb. 1 in a solo-vehicle accident near Reno.

Officer John Abraham began his career with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) as a cadet at the Richard A. McGee Correctional Training Center on Oct. 6, 2014.

After graduating Feb. 6, 2015, he reported for duty to HDSP.

“Our sincerest condolences are extended to the Abraham family, friends and loved ones,” wrote HDSP acting Warden M.E. Spearman in a message to all prison staff.

1. Toshi Wednesday, June 15, 2016 / 9:01 am

I was quite shocked to see the face of John here. I remember interacting with him at Lexus of Sacramento. I was proud to hear he joined the academy. He left us too soon and I pray he is at peace and for the Lord to comfort his loved ones.

2. Fashanu Sunday, February 21, 2016 / 11:51 pm

Waoooooo!! GONE TOO SOON…. The watch ain’t over yet, we still needed a strong loving and charismatic partner to work the beat. However, life dictates it course and no man can stop that. I will always remember the 12 weeks of my life knowing you at the academy… always smiling and giving me that “Hey bro!” nod whenever we saw eachother either in formation, chow or wherever. I pray the good Lord will give all of us @CDCR and most especially your family the courage to bear this loss. RIP brother!

3. M.MARTINEZ Saturday, February 13, 2016 / 9:42 pm

I still think of all the times we worked together and I always get a smile on my face. It was a true privilege calling you my partner. I will miss seeing your smiling face every day. Rest easy, Abraham. Watch over those of us still walking this tough beat. Godspeed, Brother.

4. Jennifer Ogborn Wednesday, February 10, 2016 / 11:49 am

My thoughts and prayers are with Abraham’s family.

5. Valerie Wednesday, February 10, 2016 / 11:12 am

My heartfelt condolences to Officer Abraham’s family.

6. dawn clemens Wednesday, February 10, 2016 / 4:25 am

The Nurses at Folsom State Prison extend our sincerest condolences to Officer Abraham’s family and friends.

7. Deborah Johnson Monday, February 8, 2016 / 11:20 am

On behalf of CCWF, our prayers and deepest sympathy are with the family of Officer Abraham.

8. Martha Saturday, February 6, 2016 / 12:42 am

My deepest condolences to John’s family and friends. My prayers are with him and all of you. God bless him and keep him.

9. Amy C Friday, February 5, 2016 / 12:43 pm

Taken from the world too soon! One of the great correctional officers in this world! May he rest in peace and his family have comfort. Thoughts and prayers are with all of them! ♡

10. Crystal Friday, February 5, 2016 / 8:54 am

I’ll miss you. Such a sweet guy. RIP and prayers for your family.

11. Melissa Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 11:54 pm

Rest well my friend. We love you.

12. Christina Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 7:41 pm

It’s still very unreal and breaks my heart every time I’m reminded you are gone. We worked together at Lexus for years and he was always a pleasure. Sending everyone who had the pleasure of knowing, loving, and working with this amazing guy love. He had accomplished so much, your Lexus family is so proud and deeply saddened by your loss. Forever in our hearts, and NEVER to be forgotten.

13. S. Nelson Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 4:27 pm

It was truly a pleasure to have known you my friend. There was never a time when you wouldn’t put a smile on my face and make me laugh. Till we meet again, rest in peace, brother.

14. HDSP FAMILY Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 3:51 pm

I bet you never thought you touched as many people’s lives as you did. You will be greatly missed by so many, HDSP will never be the same without you. From all your family at HDSP, thank you for your dedicated work and love of life. Rest now and we will all meet again. Miss seeing you. ROMEO, II-15

15. Colleen Rowland, S.P.T Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Sending love and prayers of support for your family during this time of transition. Peace be with you.
    From the Psych staff at Old Folsom.

16. karla.joseph@cdcr.ca.gov Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 2:06 pm

R.I.P. my brother in green, and my deepest condolences to his family.

17. RUBEN.ROSAS2@CDCR.CA.GOV Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 1:55 pm

It was a pleasure working with you over the past year. My condolences to your family. Until we meet again brother.

18. MCSP Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 1:51 pm

Precious Lord, please protect and comfort Fellow Officer Abraham’s loved ones, family, and friends.

19. L.Griffin Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 11:50 am

San Quentin State Prison extend our sincere condolences to our brother of the badge. You walked the toughest beat in the State ! We will keep the Abrahams in prayer. May you be comforted in your darkest time, family. Our prayers to HDSP staff as well.

20. Joy Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 10:39 am

Officer Abraham was obviously well loved and inspired many folks. May he rest in peace and may his family be comforted as they grieve their loss. God bless you all.
    Sincere condolences!

21. E. Eaton Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 8:33 am

R.I.P. Abraham, It was a great pleasure training with you while we attended the academy
    (Romeo Company) and us working together on A-yard. You will truly be missed my friend, my brother. God bless. Sincere condolences to your family. “Heavens Garden Holds A New Bloom.”

22. S. Benavidez Thursday, February 4, 2016 / 1:26 am

I’m going to miss you, buddy. I already miss your jokes, miss our random conversations, miss you randomly walking into my casa to hang out, and miss your positive attitude toward life. Heaven is a better place with you guarding the gates. Rest easy John, I’m glad I had the pleasure to call you my friend. You will be missed by many! Romeo company will never be the same without you. We were family since day one of the academy. RIP buddy, until we meet again.

23. Stephanie R. Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:30 pm

Prayers and blessings to the Abraham family. I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing you but I feel in my heart that you are amazing. Rest in peace.

24. IKPONMWOSA OGBEIDE Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Rest in peace, bro. You will be greatly missed! My regards and condolence to his family.

25. Dale Castro Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 7:55 pm

RIP, brother.

26. T.Salviejo Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 5:15 pm

Rest easy, brother. Prayers and thoughts to his family and friends.

27. T. Barrier Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 4:55 pm

My thoughts and prayers going out to the family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are also with his HDSP family. RIP, brother.

28. Nelson Ramirez Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 4:33 pm

My deepest condolences.

29. A. Temple Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Rest in peace, Abraham. I cannot believe we will never see your beautiful smile again. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

30. S. BALDERAS LVN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 3:48 pm

The Medical staff here at CIM extend our sincerest condolences to all those that Officer Abraham left behind. We grieve here for you all. May God bless you all, and may God bring peace to you all in this tough time. R.I.P. Officer Abraham.

31. A. GONZALEZ Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 3:25 pm

Our hearts go out to all our brethren in Green at HDSP. Officer Abraham’s watch has ended among us, but it begins elsewhere.

Thoughts, prayers and strength from your family at RJD.

32. Michael Chavez Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 3:20 pm

Rest in peace. God bless.

33. R. Vargas Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 3:15 pm

May God rest your soul and bless your family in this difficult time. Your extended family at CIM will keep you and your loved ones in prayer.

R.I.P.

34. J. Alvara Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 3:12 pm

RIP, brother. Condolences to the Abraham family and staff at HDSP from VSP.

35. L. Whalen Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 2:05 pm

I miss you so much… you were the sweetest most amazing man. I can’t believe we were talking about all the things you wanted to do and making plans the night before you left. I will love and miss you always and forever. My deepest and sincere condolences go out to his family, his friends in Sacramento who he always referred to as family and his HDSP family. May he rest in peace and watch over us.

“I miss ur face”

36. Sharon Jones Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 1:59 pm

As an instructor here at the R.A. McGee Correctional Center, I extend my condolence and prayers to the Abraham family as well as our CDC family. A shining star of Romeo Company II-15, you will be greatly missed.

37. M. Boim Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 1:39 pm

I’m going to miss you. Never had the opportunity of working with you, but whenever I crossed your path, it truly was a pleasure. Rest in peace, my brother.

38. Seth jones Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 1:13 pm

Love you, brother. You were never afraid of a challenge and always looked to improve yourself. From working your way up the ranks at Lexus to accepting a job at HDSP, which meant picking up and leaving everything behind. You showed me what courage looks like. You were a good man. Prayers for all your family and friends. RIP, John Abraham.

39. J. CHAVEZ Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 12:48 pm

RIP brother! Prayers to the Abraham family from their PVSP family.

40. tim sarres Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 12:37 pm

We are sorry for your loss, to all who knew and loved Mr. Abrahams.
    Tim Sarres
    Masonry Instructor @ C.I.M

41. M.herrera Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:46 am

R.I.P officer Abraham. Prayers for the family and staff of HDSP.

42. M. Alvarez Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:32 am

R.I.P. Brother Abraham. Condolences from your extended family at ISP.

43. J.Lopez Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:21 am

My deepest sympathies to the Abraham family.
    Rest in peace, brother.

44. M.Burchfield Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:20 am

Condolences to all HDSP staff, and prayers for the family.

• Scott lawton Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 3:42 pm

Hi. Is this butch field from CDC class of 2-98

45. Dike, Martin Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:20 am

A gem is gone. It’s saddening to hear the passing away of John Abraham. You were such a great person. Highly dedicated to work. You left this world for a better place. We sympathize with your family, friends and loved ones. May your soul rest in peace.

46. Dianna Snow Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:17 am

To our High Desert Family,
    Please know my prayers and sympathy go out to all of you at this difficult time. Such a tragic loss for his family, friends and co-workers. Hold each other close in the days ahead.

47. S. Demaree Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:10 am

I will truly miss this young Officer. He was a very nice person with a heart-warming smile. RIP.
    Condolences to his family, friends and fellow Officers.

48. M. Young Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:05 am

God bless you, Abraham. You carried yourself with such respect and always, always smiled. What an example your calm confidence is. Thank you for blessing us with your presence. Peace be with the Abraham family.

49. V.HENSON Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 11:04 am

We are going to miss you Abraham! You were one of the good ones. R.I.P.

50. K. Witt Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:54 am

My heart goes out to the Abraham family and our family in green at HDSP. Rest easy, brother, we’ll take the watch from here.

51. M. Dernoncourt Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:52 am

This is heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and staff at HDSP.

52. C. Harris Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:45 am

Thoughts and prayers out to family and friends. When you go home, hug your family, tell them you love them, be good to everyone especially at work and home, in honor of Officer John Abraham.

53. Valerie Estrella Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:36 am

Condolences to Correctional Officer Abraham’s family and friends. May he rest in peace.

54. L. Langley Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:30 am

Sincere condolences to the family.

55. TROY Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:28 am

RIP, fellow brother! Deepest sincere condolences to the Abraham family.

56. Kevin Stephens Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:21 am

Rest in peace brother!

57. Robert L. Papac Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:04 am

Condolences to his entire family, both inside and outside the walls. R.I.P., Officer Abraham, “End of Watch.”

58. Coleman Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 10:02 am

Rest in paradise, Officer Abraham.

59. J. Carrillo Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 9:54 am

Sorry for the loss of your friend and co-worker, HDSP staff. May God bestow His peace upon Officer Abraham’s loved ones; both his family at home and his institutional family.

60. Melinda Wednesday, February 3, 2016 / 9:34 am

My sincere condolences to the family.