Keith Jones

California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison at Corcoran (CSATF/SP) reported the passing of retired Correctional Capt. Keith Jones on May 5.

He began his career with the department on Oct. 3, 1988. He was assigned to California State Prison, Corcoran, on Nov. 14, 1988, and promoted to sergeant at Pleasant Valley State Prison on Oct. 3, 1994.

He transferred to CSATF/SP on Dec. 1, 1997, where he later promoted to correctional lieutenant on June 7, 1999. On March 19, 2007, he promoted to correctional captain at Salinas Valley State Prison where he retired on April 1, 2009.

1. KB Friday, June 24, 2016 / 7:02 pm

Rest in Peace, Captain Jones. You were one of my favorite people to work with and your sense of humor kept things going. God bless you.

2. j.rodriguez Saturday, June 18, 2016 / 2:58 am

Rest in peace. Great supervisor and even a greater person. Always took the time to help out a rookie officer and always gave the greatest advice.

3. TB Thursday, May 19, 2016 / 9:46 pm

Keith was a one of a kind Man and a spectacular Supervisor. There was never a dull moment while in the presence of Keith.
    RIP Brother and watch over us all.

4. Lt. S. Duncan Wednesday, May 11, 2016 / 12:48 pm

My very first day on the job at PVSP, which was still under the first few weeks of activation, I was in the Control Booth in A1 for almost half an hour and had a battery w/ weapon in the dayroom. I chambered the Mini and the inmates split up. Keith responded to the unit (he was the Facility Sgt and I had never even seen him before) and in the end he read the riot act to the inmates involved (you would have had to have been there, trust me). Afterwards, he looked up at me and asked how long I had been working at PVSP. I told him,”Other than orientation, about 35 minutes.” He laughed and said we all did a good job. My partners at the time were only six weeks ahead of me so we were all brand new to the department.

Keith was a good supervisor and was always willing to help new staff. I had not seen him in a very long time and was saddened to hear he is gone. Rest in peace, sir. That “fish” youngster cop appreciated your help and direction.

5. B. Tweedy, Sgt Wednesday, May 11, 2016 / 6:49 am

Lieuteant/Captain K. Jones, you will be greatly missed. I will never forget the stories you shared while in front of the Watch Office at SATF. I once remember Jones standing in front of CTC rubbing his head in disbelief. When asked Jones how he was doing he stated, “What a day! I have one inmate biting off his toes and another trying to cut off his penis.” Jones then continued smoking and rubbing his head in disbeleif. Granted, that was before the smoking policy.

As you all know, at the beginning we all went through it, including Jones. However, we always worked together as a team. Not once did Jones not advise us of safety issues such as, “Don your gas masks before entering the facility, chemicals agents have been deployed.” This of course was during large scale riots.

As we all know, Jones was always professional. Jones was also there for a good laugh which helped releive the stress we all endured at the beginning. Not only did I get to work with Keith for many years, I transferred and, of all people, I got to meet his son M. K. Jones at SCC.

I learned he and his dad were identical. Good stories, good laugh and professional when required. Let’s all reach out and support his son the best we can and keep his dad’s memories going.
    Lt. Jones, again you will be greatly missed and never forgotten.

6. AJ Tuesday, May 10, 2016 / 7:15 pm

Rest in peace, Keith.

Was good working with you at CSP and SATF.