Attempted homicide of High Desert State Prison officer under investigation

High Desert State Prison (HDSP) is investigating a staff assault that injured six correctional officers.

This morning, June 9, an inmate attacked a correctional officer with a prisoner-made metal weapon while officers were processing inmates to the yard. The inmate stabbed the officer on his cheek, face, head and hand. He was transported to an outside hospital for treatment and is expected to recover.

Officers used physical force to subdue the inmate and stop his attack.

In addition, five other officers were injured during the incident. One was treated at the prison’s medical facility for a bite wound. Four were also sent to the hospital for evaluation and treatment of abrasions, swelling and exposure to blood. One of the four had also been bitten.

Staff recovered one prisoner-made stabbing weapon at the scene.

HDSP investigators identified Desmond Walls, 36, as a suspect in the attack. Walls was received from Riverside County on October 17, 2008, and is serving a 21-year sentence for first-degree burglary and second-degree robbery with use of a firearm.

Inmate Walls was also injured and taken to a hospital for treatment.

1. Mark Townsend Saturday, June 10, 2017 / 6:31 am

Prayers to my family brothers and sister at HDSP.

2. T. Lee, CC I (A) Wednesday, September 14, 2016 / 7:15 am

Wishing a swift recovery for all the injured C/O’s at HDSP!

3. G. LaHue Wednesday, June 15, 2016 / 9:27 am

Praying for all those involved in this attack. Praying healing and restoration both mentally and physicaly. Thank you for truly walking the toughest beat in the state

4. EdEarl Wednesday, June 15, 2016 / 7:13 am

Stay strong!
    I’m praying for you all!

5. Deborah Berberich Monday, June 13, 2016 / 7:19 am

My thoughts and prayers to all the Correctional Officers that were hurt in this incident. Thank you also to all the Correctional Officers who have been injured or given their lives to protect others. You truly have the toughest beat and are valued more than you realize by those whom you protect.
    With greatest respect,
    Dr. D. Berberich, PhD
    CRC

6. S. COMER Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 12:03 pm

Strength and Respect. I hope all involved recover and come back stronger than ever. I’ll keep you all on our prayer list. Stay strong.

7. J N Saturday, June 11, 2016 / 12:02 am

Be safe, brothers and sisters. Just the other day at San Quentin we experienced an assault to one of our own. But we will continue to be professionals and keep walking the toughest beat!

8. Melendrez Friday, June 10, 2016 / 7:11 pm

In our prayers, my brothers.

9. Lt. S. Moss Friday, June 10, 2016 / 6:21 pm

My prayers to each and every Officer involved in this incident. I thank God that you all were there for one another. If our partner is in a fight then we’re in a fight. Let us all continue to try to keep ourselves and one another safe as we step inside these wall each day and come face-to-face with some of CA’s most dangerous felons.

10. Lisa Park Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:49 pm

Praying for a speedy recovery to my fellow brothers and sisters, both physically and mentally. Reading the news first thing this morning was upsetting and having worked with the injured officers did not make matters any better. God watch over you and HDSP.

11. alejandra f Friday, June 10, 2016 / 12:03 pm

My prayers are with you all to get well soon.

12. Daniel Fernandez Friday, June 10, 2016 / 9:59 am

Speedy recovery to those Officers injured..

13. Sgt. J.Coake CIM Honor Guard Friday, June 10, 2016 / 9:48 am

Prayers and wishes of a speedy recovery from your brother and sister officers at CIM.

14. Linda Hagen Friday, June 10, 2016 / 9:43 am

Prayers for quick healing. We in non-custody jobs are so grateful to have such brave officers around us. Thank-you for what you do.

15. PR Friday, June 10, 2016 / 9:17 am

Prayers for the officer attacked and those injured. Another example
    of how challenging and unpredictable a CO’s job is. We appreciate
    you and all that you do to keep the institution as safe as possible.

PR

16. Mark Lewis, SRNII Friday, June 10, 2016 / 8:32 am

I’m very sorry to hear of this assault on our best and bravest. God bless you all. Get well soon!

17. E. Corr Friday, June 10, 2016 / 8:22 am

Quick recovery brothers! Keep safe my HDSP family!

18. J.D. Bartnik Jr. Friday, June 10, 2016 / 7:46 am

To the officers who were injured in this assult: I wish you a speedy recovery. I’ve been assaulted myself. this will pass with time. It will never be forgotten, but as time passes, it does get easier to reflect. Bless you all.

• Melendrez Friday, June 10, 2016 / 7:14 pm

God’s blessing, brother Bartnik

19. Stephanie R. Friday, June 10, 2016 / 7:36 am

Prayers to all the officers involved. I hope they all make a full recovery

20. FSP/FWF Officer Rooney, C. Thursday, June 9, 2016 / 11:19 pm

My heart and prayers go out to the CDCR brothers and sisters that were hurt in this incident.