CDCR announces pause in accepting Correctional Officer job applications

The CDCR Office of Peace Officer Selection (OPOS) announced today a pause in accepting Correctional Officer job applications.  OPOS has received over 10,000 applications since May 2.

OPOS is closing the application process again to avoid the large glut of applicants that at one point created a delay of up to six months in scheduling for the written exam.  OPOS’ goal is to have applicants scheduled to take the written exam within 30-60 days of application and to reduce the overall time applicants spend in the process by 120 days.  A future update will announce the reopening of the application process.

Find answers to frequently asked questions: https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Career_Opportunities/POR/FAQ.html

If you have more questions, call (916) 255-2500.

1. Matt Chee Brady Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:11 pm

So, what would be the longest timespan of waiting to enter the academy? I applied the first week of May, and got my testing date in July. Is there a chance I could enter the academy before the year is out?

• J. Lau Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 10:24 am

I entered the academy in October 2015, and I applied December 2013. This was before the pauses in applications; so, you get the timeframe we’re looking at here. For backgrounds, if you’re a bit older, it’d take longer because there’s more to look at. So, my process took 1yr and 10mo. That’s with my BG taking 2 weeks.

2. Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:59 am

PFC Torres – the application process will be opening soon. You can apply then, online, and then when you recieve your notice for the written exam call (916) 255-1025 and ask to reschedule after you return stateside. You can begin testing prior to your ETS date. HOOOAAAAH!

3. Stephanie Banales Thursday, June 16, 2016 / 3:47 pm

Hello, i posted my application before the pause on accepting applications went into effect. I was wondering if my application will qualify?

• Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:13 am

Yes. We are continuing to process the applications received prior June 3. By now I am sure you have been contacted for your written exam. If not, please call the customer service number (916) 255-1025.

4. Dylan B Tuesday, June 14, 2016 / 3:37 pm

i applied on may 15th, will everyone that applied before they froze the application get the opportunity to go through the process?

• Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:15 am

Yes. While applications are not currently being accepted, the department is continuing to conduct the written exam and physical fitness test for those who applied between May 2 and June 3.

5. Gerardo P Monday, June 13, 2016 / 10:18 pm

This this mean that the process will again slow down for those that are in the process like before or will it proceed at normal pace?

• Matt Chee Brady Wednesday, June 15, 2016 / 8:29 am

I have that exact same question.

• Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:18 am

The process is not slowing down, in fact, it is now considerably faster for those who have applied. If you applied in early May, by now you should have completed your written exam, and for some, the physical fitness test. Prior to the pause in applications it could take up to 8 – 10 months from application to physical fitness test.

6. Jared Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 11:50 pm

How do I get to the application, could I please get a link that sends me rite to it please?

• SH Monday, June 13, 2016 / 2:50 pm

Hiring is now frozen probably for a long time due to 10,000 applicants already in.

• Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:19 am

You cannot currently get to the application because they are not being accepted at this time. However, check back soon for an announcement on re-opening the application process.

7. Tyler McManus Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 8:42 am

I have a question if that I have recently passed Placer County Corrections Written/Physical testing process, can I submit proof and fast track this process. Thank you

• Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:50 am

Sorry Tyler. I am assuming you took the PELLET B exam which many agencies use and can be transferred from agency to agency. CDCR does not use the PELLET B exam. Our exam is based on specific job functions an entry level correctional officer is likely to encounter on the job in an institution. While many agencies use the PELLET B it is more specific to the tasks of a peace officer on the street.

8. Omero Banuelos Wednesday, June 8, 2016 / 4:57 pm

Hello. I had a question about applying to cdcr correctional officer program. Ive seen the announcement on pausing on accepting applications at the moment but I just want to be ready so i know what i need to do. Do I need to apply first or complete my paperwork first such as my background,TB screening, employment eligibility?

• Nathan McIntyre Saturday, June 11, 2016 / 9:20 pm

Hello,

My name is Nathan and I may be of some service. I’ve applied once before and what I can say is that the online application will take you through all the answers to your question. First you will receive an email confirming your application was accepted, then you will be scheduled a written test, then physical test, then a physiological exam. After that I’m not sure but that’s the general info I was able to accumulate on my first try. I had to drop shortly in but am ready to re apply. See you there man keep checking weekly for updates or sign up for the email alerts.

If anyone has anything to correct or add to this please feel free to do so.

• Nathan McIntyre Saturday, June 11, 2016 / 9:22 pm

I also forgot they will automatically do a background check as well.

• Juan Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 5:08 pm

Hello im juan want to know more on how to aply and start a career in the cdcr

9. Rosa Ramirez Wednesday, June 8, 2016 / 12:18 pm

Hello,
    My name is Ramirez, Rosa and i am currently enrolled at Sjvc in Salida, CA. I will be graduating in August of this month but do not have my BSIS as of right now due too pregnancy. I will attend the class for BSIS in October of this month. I do have my Title 15 done as well with 8 hours of baton training. I just wanted more information on applying to become a correction officer in your facility. Thank you.

• hellomynameis Thursday, June 9, 2016 / 6:29 pm

BSIS is not required or need to apply for this job. CDCR will send you to a live in academy for training that is approx 16 weeks long. At the academy they will train you in all the necessary skills needed for the job, i.e. baton, firearms, chemical agents.. etc.

The selection process starts by submitting an application, written test, physical agility test, and background check, Psychological Screening .

for more information refer to https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/documents.html

10. martin pasillas Sunday, June 5, 2016 / 11:41 pm

How can I check if my application has been reviewed or not? What number do I call?

• Steve Wednesday, June 22, 2016 / 11:53 am

Martin – The customer service number is (916) 255-1025.

11. PFC Torres, Jessie Sunday, June 5, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Hello Sir or Ma’am,
    My name is PFC Torres and I just turned 20 on May 10th and I would like some more information on how to become a Corrections Officer. Also, I would like to know what you guys do on a day to day basis and what is the difference between you guys and a regular street cop. As of right now I am stationed in Korea and my Active Duty Contract doesn’t end til Nov 2018. I would really like to join after my contract but also be in the Reserves. Is that possible at all? Thank you for you time.

• Some Guy Friday, June 17, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Are you serious? Did you even try doing some research? All that info is on their website and if you want to compare CO and “Street Cop,” there’s YouTube and Google. This is not like the recruiting office where the recruiter will do everything for you to get you enlisted. It’s the opposite here!