Correctional Officer applications now being accepted

The Office of Peace Officer Selection (OPOS) is now accepting Correctional Officer applications.  The application period will remain open until another 10,000 applications have been received and then pause again while those applications are processed through the written exam, supplemental application and physical fitness test.

By closing and reopening, OPOS is utilizing Lean Six Sigma principles to reduce “work in progress” and create a “pull system” where the right number of candidates are delivered to the initial selection components at the right time to process.  The pull system reduces candidate wait time in the process from application to physical fitness test from as long as 10 months down to approximately three months.

With the shorter wait time, it is important candidates begin preparing for the written exam and physical fitness test on the day they apply, or sooner.  Links to a sample of the written exam and a description of the PFT and video are available at Selection Components.

1. Siobhan Sunday, August 13, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I have a question regarding the PHS. All of the instructions I have read pertaining to the PHS, states “complete” If there are dates and names of individuals that I am unable to recall or produce documentation for, does that mean it will be considered incomplete and not accepted?

Thank you!

2. Nancy Thursday, July 20, 2017 / 1:15 am

If I did not pass my background check and its been over a year already can I apply again?

3. priya chand Wednesday, June 28, 2017 / 9:02 am

I have already applied to get my repalcement PR and the process to receive the card could take up two months or more. In order to get my original SS card I need my original PR and the SS office is denying to take any other form of identification. I passed my exam two days ago. At this point I can reschedule my PFT another month or so but I wonder how long can I continue to push it till I get all hard copy of my documents. In addition, I was born out of country and I highly doubt my mom still has my birth certificate. HELP PLEASE!

4. Gavin Thursday, June 22, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Hello I am thinking about applying but fear that I might be disqualified due to me having my are code “559” incoraopted in my tattoo on my upper shoulder would that be an issue?

5. Bonnie Tuesday, June 20, 2017 / 10:43 pm

So I am getting out of the military In a few months and and 13 weeks pregnant . I am scheduled to take the initial exam next week. I really need to have a great job and something in my field . I’m wondering how long this process is. Also will I be disqualified due to being pregnant . I know that I have to go to the academy

6. Maria Serna Friday, June 9, 2017 / 5:42 pm

I applied for YCC the end of May and have been scheduled to take my written test on June 19. I am 32 weeks pregnant, due July 31st. I’ve been reading most individuals who pass have the written are typically scheduled for the physical test about a month later. If I am to pass is there any way to postpone my physical test until August or later?

7. Ryan Thursday, June 8, 2017 / 11:00 am

Hello I was separated from the Army during my 4 months in basic training. I have a RE3 code and I am not sure what my separation code was. This was 5 years ago. I was at Fort Benning. I never stop training and was sent home 2 weeks before graduation. I was 2 sit ups away from passing my final PTF and that was the reason for my separation. I was not offered FTU as the Army was downsizing. Since technically I passed basic training and was already in the AIT portion of OSUT will I need to bring my DD214 as proper documentation and will this disqualify me from going forward in this career path?

8. irvin Friday, February 10, 2017 / 11:38 pm

Hello,
    I took my PFT september 2016 and awaiting to take cvsa, but i have a question about having a criminal record, no felonies all infractions and i also added certified letters from the DA stating my cases were dropped and closed. Will this disqualify me? Thank you.

• irvin Wednesday, February 15, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Steven?

9. Desiree Sunday, February 5, 2017 / 7:21 am

What if you are going to the academy 4 months pregnant. Has anyone else done this with no problem? Do they modify the physical portion at all if your pregnant?

10. David Saturday, January 28, 2017 / 5:50 pm

If I was disqualified following my background process, what are the required documents to mail to the appeals office?

11. Miguel Lucar Monday, January 16, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Just out of curiosity. Why is it that you can only wear soft contact lens if you have worse than 20/60 in each eye?

12. Elena Monday, December 26, 2016 / 9:16 am

During the application process and having already submitted pictures of tattoos is it okay to get others during the application process?

13. Stephen Saturday, December 17, 2016 / 10:58 am

Hello, I recently passed my pft less than 7 days ago, but have been checking the cdcr pass2client login link as it seems to be updated with results fairly fast. It says I have been dq for BI, but I have yet to take the cvsa, give fingerprints, and be appointed a BI. I called the central selection center the verify and on their record, my next step is the cvsa. So im wondering if its a bug in the pass2client webpage or something.

14. Andrew Thursday, November 17, 2016 / 4:31 pm

I passed the written test in October and passed the PFT on Monday. I believe the next step is the CVSA. When do I expect an email for this part? Do they call or do they email?

15. Steven Wednesday, October 19, 2016 / 10:49 pm

I received a letter notifying me I was withheld from correctio officer proccess for havin 2 license suspensions in the last 5 years. What does this mean am I disqualified?

• klevontey Morgan Friday, October 21, 2016 / 12:42 pm

unfortunately it sounds like you are disqualified. I’d say try to appeal, but not sure on what grounds

16. Deanna Thursday, September 8, 2016 / 7:26 pm

I was withheld from the remainder of the process for withholding a job termination. I forgot about the job and felt that at that interview I can add it to my file and apparently I was only let go for omitting that information. I want to appeal it. I worked so hard up to point and waited so long. This is something that I really want to do. Do you think I can pass my appeal? I was honest and never tried to withhold any information on my phs for any dishonest reason. I cannot put my life on hold and wait a whole year to reapply and go through the whole process again.

• klevontey Morgan Friday, October 21, 2016 / 12:39 pm

totally worth the effort to try

17. Gerardo P Wednesday, September 7, 2016 / 5:21 pm

Hello steve i hope you can answer this question if you were terminated from a job do you have to wait a year from that termination to apply or you will be disqualified during background investigation i have looking all over the cdcr website and cant find any information, hope you can help

18. Deanna Burton Tuesday, September 6, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Hi.
    I just took my cvsa on Aug 30, 2016. The investigator told me he could not tell me if I passed or not but that I should hear something within a week. Now if I did not pass, do you think he would have really told me then and there?

19. Jose Lopez Saturday, August 20, 2016 / 11:00 am

Hello Mr. Steve,

I applied for officer and have passed my written exam with a score of 75 . I was sent an email to take my fitness test . However, the instructor at the place where I took the written test ( Sacramento ) stated that people with scores of 70-75 WILL NOT move forward with the hiring process . I then received the supplemental questions and passed that and received an email to go take my fitness test . Was just wondering if I should continue with the process or just drop out and wait another year ? Please help me out with this. What are our chances for those who received these scores . ?

20. Adriana Monday, August 15, 2016 / 2:00 pm

Hello, Today I had the (CVSA) appointment. Unfortunately, I arrived late. The investigator was very nice, but he said that he had to disqualify me because I was late. He stated that I will receive a letter in the mail. Does that mean I have to start the process again? I am just confused!

• Gerardo P Thursday, September 1, 2016 / 3:44 am

I believe you can apply one year after your qualification date

• Saul Zuniga Tuesday, May 30, 2017 / 5:30 am

I took my fitness test last week…. Instructor told us that they have a new policy. You only have to wait 6 months now but you should double-check

21. Brianna Back Wednesday, August 10, 2016 / 8:16 pm

Hi I was just wondering how long I would have to wait to re-aply for my supplemental application? I passed written exam but did not pass the supplemental application due to answering yes on trying marijuana withinn the two years of applying for this position. I have a sqeaky clean record and this was all due to ignorance in the past please give me some advice,thank you!

22. Marika Wednesday, August 10, 2016 / 3:34 pm

I took my test today in rancho I ran out of time guessed on about 20 questions l, I just got a email that I passed with 70 but due to a high volume I may not make it to the backeound part and ect.. Should I even go to the next step which is next months on the 10th for fitness ?

• klevontey Morgan Friday, October 21, 2016 / 12:44 pm

hopefully you went, because you never know. you could just make it in with that 70

23. Ann Cathren Monday, August 1, 2016 / 11:07 am

I just realized today that I have forgotten to list two employers. Is it possible to resubmit a corrected PHS? I haven’t been scheduled to take the CVSA yet.

24. Luis R Tuesday, July 26, 2016 / 10:18 pm

i applied on 06/11/16
    received exam appt email on 06/16/16
    took written exam on 07/25/16
    received email with exam results same day 07/25/16
    passed exam with score of 75
    received email with PFT appt 07/26/16

I want to know if my application will be processed since all notifications include a note that states that scores of 80 and above will have priority and I might not get through the process prior to the expiration of my application “list life.”

• allison Wednesday, July 27, 2016 / 3:38 pm

Wow that’s cool same day!? I believe from previous response they higher you score the faster you get in. You are in the passing so that doesn’t mean you won’t get accepted it just means it can take longer from what you scored hope that helps!

25. Ann Cathren Thursday, July 14, 2016 / 9:59 am

Unfortunately it looks like my transcripts will not arrive on time for my PFT, if I were to withdraw, how soon would I be able to apply again. I’m hoping to apply to the current cycle that’s open.

• Steve Thursday, July 14, 2016 / 12:54 pm

Ann – while we prefer transcripts be turned in at PFT, if you don’t have them you’ll still be allowed to run if you have your PHS complete and have identification. When you are assigned a background investigator (s)he will request any missing documentation. – Steve

26. Gerardo P Thursday, July 7, 2016 / 5:19 pm

Hey steve I had a voice stress test on May 11, 2016, talking to the officer i think i did good, i asked him when my background would start he said that it should be done, 30-45 days after that date may 11 those days have passed but i have not heard anything should i call anyone or should I continue to wait? Also one is told first if they pass the csva before background? Thanks in advance also for answering are questions

• Morgan Friday, July 8, 2016 / 8:32 am

Hey Gerardo, you should continue to wait, it may take longer than usual, because of the tremendous amount of applicants. Sorry, I’m not sure about the CSVA.

• Steve Friday, July 8, 2016 / 9:09 am

Gerardo – listen to Morgan, she gives good advice. If you failed your CVSA you would have been told of that at the conclusion of the interview and you would have received a disqualification letter explaining your appeal rights. If you haven’t received the letter then you’re good. I’m not sure which office you’re processing at, but the workload is different at each one and the background investigation start time varies. Your investigator may have begun your file but not contacted you yet. It does not hurt to check with our customer service desk and ask if you’ve been assigned to an investigator, that’s what it is there for: (916) 255-2500. I would suggest not contacting your Background Investigator unnecessarily as that slows down the process for all.

27. Carlos Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 11:14 pm

I put it on app. On the 27th they gave me a tracking number n everything but no confirmation to my email. Should i be worried my app. Didn’t get in?

• allison Tuesday, July 5, 2016 / 10:04 am

Mine either I haven’t received anything.

• Steve Thursday, July 7, 2016 / 9:04 am

Carlos/Allison – if you received a confirmation number, you’re good. Your next email should be to schedule you for the Physical Fitness Test, possibly for July, probably in August or September. Due to the large number of application received in the Central Region, they are running a little longer wait until scheduling for the written exam. – Steve

• Steve Friday, July 8, 2016 / 9:30 am

Carlos/Allison: CORRECTION: My previous response should have read you will be contacted for the Written Exam, not Physical Fitness Test. Same time frames, however. To shed a little more light on our process, when you apply your information is captured in our application system, which is separate from our production system. Twice a month applications are moved from the application system to the production system, that process will occur next week. Once your application is in the production system you wil begin receiving scheduling notices. You should expect an August exam date unless you’re processing in the Central Region, then September is more likely. – Steve

• allison Saturday, July 16, 2016 / 9:36 am

Thank you Steve! I received my email exam for August 8th.

28. David Curlango Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 8:42 pm

I was with held due to lack of proof I gradutated. I didn’t graduate from my highschool but I did get my diploma in California. I even submitted the 4 years of college transcripts. Also I was never sent any kind of status as far as what was happening with my process. Nor given a chance to clarify what ever issue they seemed to have with my education. My question is what do I do now? I tried talking to the person who ultimately sent me the information and I understand they are busy but I got no where with and was just told you need to apply in one year.

• Steve Thursday, July 7, 2016 / 9:14 am

David – if you were withheld for failure to meet minimum qualifications, you should have received a letter stating the reason. Our disqualification letters all include information on how you can appeal the department’s decision to the State Personnel Board within 30 days. The education requirements are very specific in California Government Code Section 1031.e. For example, if the school your received your diploma from was not accredited, the diploma is invalid. College transcripts alone will not qualify you, the Government Code language specifies a two-year, four-year, or advanced degree. I’ve included a link to the Government Code language below. – Steve

29. Joe Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 4:22 am

My son was 21 last year when he applied and didnt pass the Psych Interview process. It was surprising given the fact he holds a Top Clearance Clearance with the U.S. Air Force Reserves. I’m thinking maybe the Psychologist thought he was too young last year. The only thing he has on his record is he got into a fight in High School. He is going to reapply again this year now that he is 22. My question is do you think his age played a part of him not passing the Psych Interview last year?

• john doe Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 9:35 am

age is not a factor. there are plenty of young adults, as young as 21, that are accepted into the academy.

30. carlos Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 2:28 pm

Can I apply with a high school diploma from mexico.. I have a notarized letter front arizona lawyer that evaluate my studies

• Steve Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 9:22 am

Joe – I supervised the Psych program from July of 2013 until recently and I can tell you most candidates your son’s age do pass the psych exam. Definitely have him apply again if he is still interested. There are some psych characteristics that do change with age, such as, as we get older we tend to be less impulsive. Your son will have received a letter identifying specifically which areas he was found unsuitable and he had the option to challenge that by obtaining a second opinion from a psychologist of his choosing. Please thank your son for his service to our country. – Steve

• Steve Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 9:25 am

Sorry Carlos, California Government Code specifies a U.S. high school diploma or GED. Getting your GED doesn’t have to take long. We had an applicant from southern California who did it in two weeks by testing with several different GED testing agencies. – Steve

31. Jesus Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 2:24 pm

Hello,

I have been wearing soft contact lens for about 12 years. I’ve read the Minimum Visual Acuity Requirements which states: “Must be 20/20 in each eye or corrected to 20/20 in each eye. If you are 20/60 uncorrected in each eye or better you are permitted to use glasses, soft contact lens, or hard/semi rigid contact lens to correct your vision to 20/20 in each eye. If your vision is worse than 20/60 in either eye the only correctable accommodation is with the use of soft contact lens.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, I still qualify for Correctional Officer if my vision is worse than 20/60 in either eye by using soft contact lens. I know there’s a vision form that my optometrist will fill out. Do I still qualify if my vision is worst than 20/60 without lens? My vision with lens is 20/20.

• Andy S Wednesday, June 29, 2016 / 1:09 am

Yeah I went through the process my vision is worse than yours without glasses or contacts. The condition of employment is that throughout my whole career with corrections I can only wear contacts and not glasses.

• Jesus Wednesday, June 29, 2016 / 8:28 am

Thank you Andy. I normally wear my contact lens 99% of the time, I feel better now with the information you provided.

• Steve Thursday, June 30, 2016 / 9:47 am

Carlos – you have interpreted the standard correctly. You are eligible with your soft contact lenses if you can demonstrate correction to the 20/20 standard. – Steve

32. Bianca Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 10:49 am

Do you have to have experience?

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 11:33 am

Bianca – no experience required. All successful candidates will attend a 12 week academy and receive four weeks of on the job training when they report to their assigned institution. I would suggest you learn as much as you can about the job before getting too far into the process, being a correctional officer isn’t for everyone. If you are still interested and make it through the selection process, the Department will ensure you receive the training you need to be successful – Steve

33. Sandoval Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:56 pm

My husband was in the process a few months ago and had already gotten the veterans points he withdrew his application, and now recently apllied again. My question is will his withdrawal affect his process this time around and does he have to reapply for veterans points again eventhough he was already granted them.?

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 9:28 am

Sandoval – as long as he withdrew and did not “no show” the written exam, he can reapply in less than a year and his process will not be impacted. The letter he received to award the Veteran’s Preference will need to be resubmitted each time he applies. – Steve

34. Dee Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:01 pm

Hi, I’m a former CO, I left the department in 1997, how long is the academy, it was 6 weeks back then.

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 10:11 am

Dee – the academy portion is now 12 weeks followed by four weeks of OJT at the institution for a total training period of 16 weeks. – Steve

35. gemma Monday, June 27, 2016 / 7:58 pm

hello steve,
    my daughter has applied on November 2014, she passed the written, physical, background, medical, and just finished her psychological exam last month. Why is it that the process is very slow? It’s already 1 year and 10 months and she’s still waiting. I have also heard that she might repeat the process if she’s not called to go to academy after 2 years from the time she applied, is this true? Thank you for your feedback

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 10:17 am

Gemma – there are a number of reasons the process is so lengthy, one of them being the number of people in the process. We have reduced that number significantly by not accepting applications when we have enough. Also, we process in score order so candidates with a score of 95 or 90 would process faster and candidates with a 75 or 70 sat for several months. This situation has been minimized by reducing the number of people in process to a more manageable number. Needing treatement records for the medical or psych exam also delays the process, as does waiting for law enforcememt process. If your daughter does have to go through a second time, and we’ll take steps to try to ensure she does not, her process will be much faster – Steve

36. San Monday, June 27, 2016 / 7:21 pm

I wounder if I can retake the process or even attempt to take the process because when I got to background during the interview the sergeant wright ask me if I wanted to fix any of my phs statement I left some some out but omitted to it the a few days later got a mail saying I was withheld because I omitted on my interview, I was woundering if I go through the process again and put everything down would I still get a chance of getting in.

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 10:22 am

San – if it has been a year since you were disqualified you are eligible to reapply. It is very important, especially now with the Computerized Voice Stress Analyzer, to fully, honestly, and accurately complete your Personal History Statement. The PHS will be the basis for your CVSA interview and the CVSA is extremely accurate at detecting deception. If you include everything on your PHS you won’t have any need to be deceptive later. – Steve

37. Marleena Monday, June 27, 2016 / 6:25 pm

I scored a 70 today for my written examination due to the fact that I ran out of time. My scheduled PFT is on July 20th . Since my score was low after successfully passing the PFT will I be chosen to move on with backgrounds? And how long will the process take

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 10:26 am

Marleena – we are processing everyone at present. Assuming you pass the PFT you will be moved forward to the Computerized Voice Stress Analyzer interview. Please review my response to “San” above. Candidates who pass CVSA are then assigned to a Background Investigator and the investigation process typically takes 90 days. – Steve

38. Dale Monday, June 27, 2016 / 5:59 pm

I took the CVSA exam recently, It seemed to go well based on the conversation I had with the Investigator. How long does it take to receive notification of the results for the CVSA? When can I realistically expect to be assigned a Background Investigator?

39. allison Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:56 am

Steve I checked my score through placer county and its 59.2 so does that mean I don’t qualify? It says I passed though

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:30 am

Allison – that was not the exam for a State of California Correctional Officer. I believe you took the PELLET B exam which many local agencies and CHP use. Please check the reply to your Friday message for more info.

• Stacy Monday, June 27, 2016 / 12:11 pm

How can you check your scores?

• leslie gomez Monday, June 27, 2016 / 5:31 pm

I passed everything and i’ve been waiting for an academy date since the end of december. Am I ever going to get an offer?

• allison Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:48 pm

Thank you Steve! and Stacy I accessed mine at placer county jobs and logged into my info

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 11:01 am

Dale – CVSA results takes just a few days. After that, depending on which office has your file, it should be one to two months to get assigned. – Steve

• Steve Tuesday, June 28, 2016 / 11:10 am

Leslie – I apologize for the lengh of time it has taken you to receive a job offer but when we have a lot of qualified and eligible candidates (over 900 currently). There are State rules we have to follow. I suspect you will be given an offer for the Aug. 30 academy or October 11….no promises, unfortunately. – Steve

40. Jakob Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:21 am

Do applications filled out before the 27th get put on file and then submitted on the 27th?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:33 am

Jakob – the short answer is no. Our application is online and when we are not accepting applications we take it down. It is not physically possible to submit an application at that point. If you applied the last time we opened up for applications, then your application should be in process. You can call (916) 255-1025 to verify.

• Jakob Monday, June 27, 2016 / 11:47 am

Thank you, I will verify that.

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 2:05 pm

Stacy – after you take the written exam, and assuming you pass, you will get a notice stating you passed and your score.

41. Maria Monday, June 27, 2016 / 7:30 am

Good morning! I am working today until 5:30pm PST and may not have access to apply until after that time today. Do you know how quickly based on past open application periods that the 10,000 application spots usually fill up? I just want to ensure I will not be too late if I wait until the end of today.

Thank you!

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:21 am

Good morning Maria. We previously opened on May 2 and hit 10,000 apps on June 2 and we closed on June 3. You’ll be fine waiting until after work.

42. Guadalupe Sunday, June 26, 2016 / 11:10 pm

When applying for C/O , in the job history section do we need to put down temp agencies ?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:24 am

Guadalupe – all employment must be listed. For the temp agency you can identify the period you were with them and not list every individual assignment they sent you on. – Steve

43. John Garcia Sunday, June 26, 2016 / 6:57 pm

What score do you need to get to be placed in the hiring process?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:30 am

John – the minimum score is 70, however, the higher your score the faster you move through the process. We are currently processing everyone but higher scores process first. You may find it useful to invest in an exam prep book prior to taking the written exam. There is a sample of the written exam on the JoinCDCR.com website.

44. Scott Fiske Sunday, June 26, 2016 / 4:40 pm

Is credit an issue?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:41 am

Scott – credit is an issue. Peace officers are expected to be responsible and credit history is an indicator of that. Credit history alone will not disqualify you but, if you also have a marginal employment history and a couple of failures to appear it all adds up toward disqualification. We do look at the recency of any negative information, for example, a failure to appear when you were 20 is not a concern (assuming you cleared it) if you are now 28 and have not had any other law enforcement contact. – Steve

45. Danny Sunday, June 26, 2016 / 1:14 pm

Hi I was wondering, what if I took the test already but got disqualified for some court issues that I cleared up and now I’m ready to reapply after I waited my one year, will I have to take the test again?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:44 am

Yes Danny, you will have to complete the written exam again. The written exam establishes your score on the eligibility list and is a required component under California Government Code. – Steve

46. Monica H Sunday, June 26, 2016 / 5:54 am

Hi, I have always wanted to apply, but about 10 years ago I spent the night in the drunk tank. I actually was the one that told police officers to take me because i was tired of my family arguing with me. This has been haunting me and has stopped me from applying. Will this affect me if I apply?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:49 am

Monica – if your night in the drunk tank was 10 months ago it would definitely be an issue, 10 years ago, no. You do need to disclose it on your Personal History Statement and to your Background Investigator. More people are removed from our process for what they hid than what they did! If that is all of the law enforcement contact you’ve had you’re fine – Steve

47. Chris Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 10:30 pm

Is there a certain amount of questions you can get wrong in the voice stress analyzer test. And also I noticed that that requirement isn’t posted on the website as the requirements.

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 8:57 am

Chris – if you review the “Selection Components” link you’ll see the following language under the heading “Personal History Statement:” “All responses to questions answered within the submitted PHS will be verified through the background investigation and Computerized Voice Stress Analyzer (CVSA) examination.” The CVSA isn’t a “right or wrong” kind of test. What it does is indicate if you are being deceptive when answering questions about your personal history. If you “google” it you’ll find the CVSA technology is very accurate. – Steve

48. Kenneth Marshall Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 9:09 pm

Steve- My son has applied for the second time having to wait one year from his disqualification for his first time. Now that his year was up he has re-applied and waited now they are telling he has to wait another year because he missed his test date that he never received notification of. How does he file an appeal? He’s has tried calling and leaving messages with no reply. If you can help with this situation I would appreciated it. Sergeant K Marshall.

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:07 am

Sergeant Marshall – your son has to deal with this, he is an adult and as such we cannot discuss his application with you or anyone else. When he received his disqualification letter it explained his appeal rights and gives him 30 days to file.

49. Alex Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 7:18 pm

Do you need a ged or high school diploma ?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:09 am

Alex – yes you do need a GED or high school diploma, at minimum.

50. Dan Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 7:17 pm

A few years back, possibly 6 that I passed the exam, the fitness test and background check. I got a phone call with good news ” You can continue your journey to become a correctional officer” ( maybe not in those exact words) . I turned it down. Caller could not believe it. He then mentioned that if I was called within a year, would I accept? I said absolutely . Never heard back. Question is, do I have to start over?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:11 am

Dan – you will have to start the process from the beginning. In addition to the written exam, your background investigation, pre-employment medical exam, and psychological screening are only good for one year. Your background investigation should go faster this time. – Steve

51. Jessica Medina Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Hi how do I find the application link

Jessica Medina,

52. Tiffiney quenzer Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Hi, I’m working in the capacity of a Correctional Corporeal and have been employed with the Sheriffs Department for the last ten years will I get any points towards my final score?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:15 am

Jessical – the link was not available Saturday, we had not started accepting applications at that time. It is now available on the JoinCDCR.com website, select the link for “Peace Officers” and you’ll see a green button at the top of the page that reads “apply now.” Good luck. – Steve

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 11:31 am

Tiffiney – the only way to improve your written exam score is if you are a veteran and request the Veteran’s Preference. Your experience as a Correctional Corporal should help on our written exam and your employment history should speed up your background investigation as well. – Steve

53. Castro L Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 10:13 am

Can i apply without a high school diploma or GED?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:17 am

Castro – no, those are the minimum education requirements specified in the minimum qualifications for the correctional officer classification. You will find other jobs you are eligible for on the JoinCDCR.com website. – Steve

54. Max Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 10:11 am

I have a low credit score will this prevent me from getting accepted?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:21 am

Max – a low credit score alone will not disqualify you, particularly if there is a good reason for it. However, if you also have negative employment history and a bad driving record it adds up against you. Recency counts, if this was within the last year it counts more than something from 10 years ago that has not been repeated. – Steve

55. Christina Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 9:43 am

Was wondering took the test a few months ago failed can I retest again or have to wait?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:24 am

Christina – you do have to wait, but that can be to your advantage if you use your time to prepare. You can take some community college courses, ideally criminal justice, or purchase some exam prep materials. You can find criminal justice courses and exam prep materials online

Please apply again 12 months after your disqualification notice was received – Steve

56. alissa Saturday, June 25, 2016 / 8:17 am

is the state taking applications for correctional counselors? I’m have a BACHELORS in business & my Master’s in Public Administration, also how do you apply for administration positions? Thank you for your time and any assistance

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 9:58 am

Alissa – we are not currently accepting applications for Correctional Counselor however there have been discussions about opening up for Youth Correctional Counselor for our facilities in Stockton and Ventura. Please look under “Career Opportunities and Exams” for other opportunities on the JoinCDCR.com website. If you are new to state service please note that you must take an exam before you can apply for any state jobs you see advertised. – Steve.

57. Gavin Friday, June 24, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I missed my written exam last year due to not being notified that it had been scheduled. Is there any way to find out when I will be eligible to re-apply before the 27th?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:03 am

Gavin – you can call (916) 255-1025 and ask staff to check your last exam date. Please note that we only send testing notices via email. It is the applicants responsibility to regularly check their email including Junk and Spam folders. – Steve

58. Vanessa Friday, June 24, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Hi some of my family members have been involved with gang and also drugs does that affect any qualifications for me ?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:06 am

Vanessa – it is certainly something that your Background Investigator will look at thoroughly. If you have never personally been involved with gangs or drugs you will be OK.

59. Reva Friday, June 24, 2016 / 5:48 pm

The last hiring faze my granddaughter applied, took the exam passed the background check but said she never received further notification. Should she apply again?

• Steve Thursday, July 14, 2016 / 1:01 pm

Reva – yes, she should apply again. In fact, I’d like you to have her contact our office at (916) 255-1025 and leave her name, contact information, and candidate I.D. number and ask the customer service representative to provide that information to me. I would like to look into what happened with her application and see if we can find what went wrong. – Steve

60. Nakeshia Friday, June 24, 2016 / 5:03 pm

If some took the test in May did do well can he are she take it again in July?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:10 am

Reva – she should apply again if it has been a year. She can call (916) 255-1025 to get her date of disqualifcation. Also, please have her ask for me, I’d like to look into her last application a little. – Steve

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 11:33 am

Nakeshia – no, you must wait one year from the date of disqualification. Use the time to take some criminal justice courses through a junior college to prepare yourself for the exam.

61. J. Carrillo Friday, June 24, 2016 / 3:49 pm

Steve, you are doing a great job providing customer service to people with a myriad of questions. It surely must help people that aren’t sure where to direct such questions. If there isn’t a FAQ that covers some of these questions, perhaps one could be created or if there is one, maybe a link could be provided. If you keep this up, I hope you get employee of the month in your department.

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:19 am

Jovita – there is an FAQ page on the JoinCDCR website under the link for “Peace Officers.” Good suggestion, I’m including the link here: https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/career_opportunities/por/FAQ.html
      As for your suggestion that I be employee of the month please keep campaigning on my behalf 🙂

62. christopher Friday, June 24, 2016 / 3:02 pm

where do I need to do in order to start the process? what forms do I need to get?

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:21 am

Christipher – go to the JoinCDCR website, select the link for “Peace Officers” and you’ll see the “apply now button near the top of the page. You will also see a link for “Forms” on the right side. – Steve

63. Joseph Friday, June 24, 2016 / 1:15 pm

I passed the written with unfortunately a 70 because I ran out of time for about 10 questions. I than passed the physical. I understand the 80 scores and up advance before me. With you guys accepting 10,000 more applicants will by 70 score go before the new batch of applicants comes through?

• Joseph Friday, June 24, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Sorry spell check on phone messed my question up. With you guys taking 10k more applicants will you guys be going through the scores that were under 80 before the new 10k go through

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 2:05 pm

Joseph – at this point we are processing all candidates regardless of score. The new 10,000 applicants from May only provides us with enough candidates for two months of written exams betweeen our three offices. We need an additional 10,000 applicants every two months.

64. Katelyn Friday, June 24, 2016 / 12:19 pm

What is your tattoo policy?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 2:12 pm

Katelyn – at this point in time there isn’t a tattoo policy except for content……gang tattoos will get you disqualified. Photographs of all tattoos are required. – Steve

65. Esmeralda Friday, June 24, 2016 / 11:20 am

Hi, I’m currently pregnant and my due date is the beginning of September. I wanted to know can I still apply for corrections on June 27, or will I have to wait

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 12:04 pm

Hi Esmerelday and congratulations! Yes, you can still apply now and you would likely have your written exam in August, and be scheduled for the physical fitness test in September. However, after your written exam you can request ‘inactive’ status and you will not be scheduled for the PFT until you contact us again and request ‘active’ status. – Steve

• allison Thursday, July 21, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Steve what if you get pregnant after the exam and the physical? Will that make you ineligible?

66. M. Alvarado Friday, June 24, 2016 / 11:17 am

I passed the written exam 80% but was in no way prepared for PFT. I did complete but did not pass, is there anyway to find out what my time was, I should have asked but didn’t. Also why do you have to start from the beginning again instead of continueing from PFT? Just asking… Thank you for your time

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 12:10 pm

Sorry, but we do not give out the time for the physical fitness test, it is a pass or fail only exam. Candidates competing in the PFT may keep their own time if they have a watch with a stop watch function.

You have to start from the beginning again with the written exam to establish your score for your next application.

67. Jasmine Friday, June 24, 2016 / 9:59 am

What if I am already an correctional officer in another state and I want to transfer to you guys facility.

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 11:13 am

Jasmine – it’s not as simple as just transferring. In California correctional officers are sworn peace officers, that is not the case in most states. Also, California Government Code specifies minimum qualifications for peace officers in California including the selection process. And there are California Penal Code requirements that must be met as well.

That being said, your prior experience will be a benefit to you in the process. Call (916) 255-2550 and ask to speak with a Lieutenant for more information.

68. Oscar Manuel Chavolla Friday, June 24, 2016 / 6:51 am

how do i go about submitting my application on here?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 7:51 am

Oscar – on Monday morning, June 27, you will see a link that reads “apply now.” Clicking on that link will take you directly to the applications – Steve

69. allison Friday, June 24, 2016 / 5:44 am

What if i took the written and physical already and passed ranking at number 14? Do my test results not count for this? Thank you.

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 7:54 am

Allison – I will need more information to answer your question. CDCR only uses six ranks so I don’t understand your reference to “passed ranking at number 14.” If you tested with CDCR and passed the written exam and physical fitness test then you are still in process with us, you do not need to apply again.

• allison Friday, June 24, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Oh great! Sorry I don’t have more info on this I was emailed I ranked # 14 and at that time they were taking the first 6 ranked. Is this for Placer or another area? I took the exam and physical in May of this year. Fingers crossed I’m so excited for such an opportunity!

• Steve Monday, June 27, 2016 / 10:25 am

Allison – our exam is statewide but you can submit location preferences. The exam you placed in the 14th rank sounds like it may have been the PELLET B exam that CHP and many local agencies use. The CDCR Correctional Officer exam is specific to our department. You can apply online at JoinCDCR.com, then select the link for “Peace Officers” and you will see the “apply now” link near the top of the page. – Steve

70. Mimi santos Friday, June 24, 2016 / 4:14 am

What is the age preference.

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 7:59 am

Mimi – you must be age 20 to apply and age 21 at the time of appointment. There is no upper age limit. To review the minimum qualifications for correctional officer go to the main page for Peace Officer Career Opportunities at the JoinCDCR.com website. – Steve

71. John Friday, June 24, 2016 / 4:13 am

Hi I’m 18 nd looking forward to being a correctional officer can u please point me in the right directions

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:06 am

John – stay out of trouble, do not use drugs or get yourself in a situation to be arrested for any reason, and get in good physical condition if you are not presently. While not required, I would also recommend attending college or junior college and taking criminal justice courses. College coursework will help with your writing skills and will assist you in preparing for the written exam and academy. Good luck and good planning ahead.

72. Jason Thompson Friday, June 24, 2016 / 12:10 am

What is the age cutoff for a corrections officer?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:08 am

Jason – you must be age 20 to apply and age 21 at the time of appointment. There is no upper age limit, we have sent cadets to the academy that are in their 50s although that is not too common.

73. R.E. SIDENT Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 11:53 pm

I wish im able to give it a try. Agility testing is my nightmare.

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:11 am

R.E. – you can watch our physical fitness test on the JoinCDCR.com website. Select the link for “Peace Officers” and below the photo you will see a link for “Physical Fitness Test video.”

74. Andrea H. Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 10:14 pm

What is the requirements do you have to be a us citizen ?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:13 am

Andrea – you must be a U.S. citizen OR have applied for citizenship.

75. leandra Ruiz Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:42 pm

I’m going to be turning 20 this July when should be the best start to doing the application process ? Need more info please

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:15 am

Leandra – the best time would be in July, after your 20th birthday. If you make it through the selection process before you are 21 we will have to wait until your birthday (age 21) to give you a job offer. Good luck.

76. Tracy F Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:41 pm

How does a person apply?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:18 am

On Monday morning, June 27, at 0800 the “Read More” link on the “Peace Officers” webpage will be changed to read “Apply Now.” Selecting that link will take you to the application.

77. Mario Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:34 pm

I missed the Test Last Year. Why do I have to Wait till a Year Passes?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 8:24 am

Mario – that is CDCR policy to avoid over exposing the written exam materials. And if you failed the exam it is an indication you have some work to do to get ready to pass it. You can find peace officer exam practice books online, look for one specifically for correctional officers, or you can take some criminal justice classes at your local community college. Be sure your in good physical condition too, the physical fitness test is next and if you fail that it is another year you have to wait.

78. Gabriel Castro Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Hi I was told I was not able to apply until my DUI is 5 years old (Disqualified 2013) this November will be 4 years. Should I wait until it’s 5 years and then apply or should I go ahead and apply since the process takes a while?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 10:45 am

Gabriel – standards change from time to time, and I’m not sure if the DUI standard is the same now as 2013. It doesn’t hurt to apply again now. Worst case is you’ll get told to reapply in November of 2017.

79. Jose Alvarez Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:17 pm

What are age and height requirements for men?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 10:47 am

Jose – there are no height requirements and the age requirement is not gender specific. Male or femaie can apply at age 20 but cannot be appointed until age 21. Since the selection process is long applying at age 20 is usually not an issue.

80. Sofia Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:12 pm

Hi I’m 17, about to be 18 and I want to be a Correctional Officer.. how do I have to be to actually do everything? 21?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 2:16 pm

Sofia – you can apply at age 20. Until then, keep yourself in good physical condition, avoid drugs, do not put yourself in a position to be arrested for anything. I would also suggest college or community college coursework in criminal justice which will help you prepare for our written exam and the classes at the academy. Good luck. – Steve

81. Edward Benitez Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 7:24 pm

I work for colorado department of corrections and am moving to Temecula CA and was wondering if i am able to apply while still in colorado. I am willing to travel to do all my testing and interviews.

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 2:21 pm

Edward – absolutely you can apply from out of state. With out of state candidates we alter the process a little to reduce the number of trips you need to take. For your first trip you will be scheduled for the written exam and physical fitness test on back to back days. Once you’ve settled in Temecula you’ll continue the process at our Rancho Cucamonga office. – Steve

82. Carlos Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 6:45 pm

I get my high school diploma at Mexico and I’m working as correctional officer at less for 6 years at arizona department of corrections. Can I apply whit this experience and my diploma or I have to get my GED from tbe United States

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 10:49 am

Carlos – unfortunately a high school diploma from Mexico is not acceptable under California Government Code. Obtaining a GED will resolve that problem for you. Good luck. – Steve

83. Martha Orozco Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 4:31 pm

If I am a 38 yr old female at a height if 5’1 and 135 lbs. Can I apply or is there an age, height requirement to apply for CO position??

• Charlie Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:13 pm

Start the process now it takes awhile I was 46 5′ 6 135 I’m now retired just don’t quit. Good luck

• Salazar Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:15 pm

There is no age, wt, or height limits.

• Norm Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 10:45 pm

Hi Martha.
      Yes you can apply…There is no age limit and/or height weight requirements…But you will have to pass the written exam then the physical test…
      Hope this helps and good luck…

• allison Friday, June 24, 2016 / 5:42 am

No i am 5’0 weighing about 185 and i passed the physical and written

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 10:53 am

Martha – there isn’t an upper age limit and we have many candidates in their 30’s and 40’s make it to the academy. There aren’t any height and weight restrictions, however, a person’s weight relative to their physical conditioning can make the physical fitness test problematic for candidates severely overweight and/or in poor physical condition.

84. John Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 1:14 pm

FYI The process takes from 12 to 18 months.

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 10:55 am

John – that is a good historical average timeframe for the selection process. We are taking steps to make it faster but it will take a while to determine how effective we have been.

85. J. Cariman Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 12:21 pm

Yes start the processes now… It takes about nine months for an active duty member to pass the entire process (Testing, Backgrounds, etc). You won’t be able to use your Veterans preference point, but let them know you are a veteran and you can turn in your DD214 as soon as you get, that will give you 10 preference points towards you hiring process. Remember they only take the top 10% from the written test, so youy have to score a 90% or above if you do not have your veterans point. You can always go to the Academy during your terminal leave and get pay from both the state and the military.

• G Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 7:44 pm

When have they said they only take the top 10%??

• Tracy F Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 9:42 pm

How does a person apply?

• Steve Friday, June 24, 2016 / 11:01 am

Let me correct two things: 1. Veterans are no longer given 10 points, they are moved to rank 1. You can read about how to get the veteran’s preference on the JoinCDCR.com website, click the link for “Peace Officers.” 2. a passing score is a 70, if you have a passing score and add your veteran’s preference it will be as if you had a score of 95, rank 1.

CDCR is currently processing all candidates with a passing score, not just 90 and above.

86. christopher Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 10:02 am

If I am active duty military and still have 1 year left on my contract, am I still able to apply to become a correctional officer, and get approved and when my EAS date comes then go to the academy?

• Steve Thursday, June 23, 2016 / 12:57 pm

Christopher – yes you can apply online June 27th and go through the selection process provided you are able to attend testing components at one of our three California locations. If not, you can still apply now and then request “inactive” status until you are able to begin testing.