Death Row inmate attacks San Quentin Correctional Officer

Condemned inmate Jesse Manzo, 27, attacked a correctional officer at San Quentin State Prison Thursday evening as he was being returned from the shower to his cell.

Investigators at San Quentin have launched a probe into the attack that occurred just after 5 p.m. as the officer was escorting the inmate from the shower in the prison’s East Block Housing Unit. Manzo slipped out of an open handcuff and used it to strike the officer several times.

The officer suffered cuts and wounds and a significant facial injury. The officer was taken to an outside hospital for treatment and is expected to make a full recovery.

The East Block Housing Unit is one of five units in the prison where male inmates on California’s Death Row are housed.

Manzo, a self-admitted gang member, was sentenced to death in Riverside County on Aug. 2, 2013. He was convicted of first-degree murder in the 2008 gang-related hate crime killing of Raymond Franklin. Manzo has been on California’s Death Row since Aug. 12, 2013.

1. T. Lee, CC I (A) Wednesday, September 14, 2016 / 7:09 am

Wishes for a speedy recovery!

2. C/O C. Dutton Tuesday, June 14, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Please do not be discouraged, my fellow officer. I know that you have not been at the Q very long, but know that you have our love and support. We need to have each other’s back always! My prayers go out to you and your family .. prayers for a speedy recovery physically and mentally.

C/O C. Dutton

3. D.K. - CDCR Procurement Tuesday, June 14, 2016 / 8:38 am

My prayers are with this officer and his family, as well as all the San Q staff. I have many friends that work there and I can’t even begin to imagine having to respond to one of your own being attacked. Thank you all in green for the work that you do everyday!

4. Abdul.Saafir@cdcr.ca.gov Monday, June 13, 2016 / 4:15 pm

My prayers are with and for this Correctional Officer and the family. G’D blessings upon you for a healthy recovery.

Chaplain Saafir

5. Officer Herrera Monday, June 13, 2016 / 9:28 am

Praying for a speedy recovery, God Bless.

6. Agent Larkins Monday, June 13, 2016 / 2:49 am

My prayers are always with my San Quentin family. I’m glad the officer was not killed. The physical scars will heal, but emotional ones will take a lot of love and prayers for the officer and his/her family. Please don’t forget to stay prayerful! Stay strong, family. We always stand together strong on the toughest beat in the state.

7. Lt. D. Lopez, SVSP Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 2:25 pm

Prayers and support to you, your family, and the San Quentin staff. You’ve got the hardest job in the state. We are with you, Brothers and Sisters.

8. A. Mayfield Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 11:15 am

Heart felt prayer to you officer and your family.

9. S. COMER Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 8:58 am

We have been taught how to behave when we joined the CDCR. This incident angers and saddens me. There is a reason why CDCR is referred to as the “Toughest Beat in the State.” We are constantly evaluating how to manage felons committed to the Department. Many of them want to do us harm, whenever they see an opportunity. When you go to your assignments daily, remember you can be in harm’s way at any given moment. We don’t quit and we don’t give up. “Warrior Sprit” If they intend to harm us, we fight back when necessary and with coordinated responses to the threat level. Our families depend on us to come home to them safely daily.

My thoughts and prayers go out to our affected brother and his extended family at San Quentin.

10. N. Ramirez Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 7:49 am

You and your family are in my prayers. Get well soon!

11. Lt. Goodes, SATF Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 7:37 am

Prayers for all involved, for swift and complete recovery, physically and mentaly. For courage to stand strong against the evil in front of you, the lies that seek to destroy you. And for bravery to reach out for the support behind you, to your brothers and sister who call you their own. God speed.

12. Officer Jasper Sunday, June 12, 2016 / 7:24 am

CSP-Solano stands with our brothers and sisters in arms. Prayers go out to our brother in green and his family.

13. M. Perez #@Donner4life Saturday, June 11, 2016 / 12:56 pm

Prayers to you brother, and a speedy recovery.
    We walk the worst beat everyday and the public will never understand.
    We are over paid, they say.
    Yet things like what has happened to you in the blink of an eye.
    They don’t care to console you or even care you are OK.
    That safety we provide them goes unnoticed.
    We only have each other, and I’m glad that our brothers and sisters had your back and helped in making that day one you will be able to see your family.
    Great job, responding officers. You should all get a medal!

14. A. Palomino Saturday, June 11, 2016 / 6:53 am

Praying for a speedy recovery. I miss all my San Quentin family. You guys are all solid! Great job to all responding East Block staff to prevent any further harm. Stay safe and continue to watch your brothers and sisters back.

15. Crystal Friday, June 10, 2016 / 9:55 pm

Hope he is OK! Prayers for speedy recovery

16. VAZQUEZ/ SCC Friday, June 10, 2016 / 6:55 pm

Hoping for your speedy recovery, Stay strong! Many prayers for you and your family.

17. Lt. S. Moss Friday, June 10, 2016 / 6:07 pm

My prayers to this SQ Officer for his bravery. It takes a lot of courage to willfully step inside these walls each day to provide services to some of CA’s most dangerous felons. Unfortunately, incidents such as this are becoming more common. For those that believe in a Higher Power, let us pray for the full physical/mental recovery of this Officer and the safety and well-being of the men and women who continue to step inside the walls each day to do jobs that many don’t have the courage to do.

18. A. Arutyunyan Friday, June 10, 2016 / 6:01 pm

Get better soon. We are praying for you, brother!
    -CMC staff.

19. J. Cello Friday, June 10, 2016 / 4:43 pm

Thoughts and prayers go out to the officer assaulted. Stay safe and alert and remember that they are always planing and looking from an opportunity.

20. A Zcrawford Friday, June 10, 2016 / 4:25 pm

Speedy recovery my brotha

21. LT B.A. Walls Friday, June 10, 2016 / 4:22 pm

Sending Prayers your way God be with us all.

22. C. Hunter Friday, June 10, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Brother, we’re praying for your speedy recovery and your physical and mental strength as you pull through this!

23. T.Calvo Friday, June 10, 2016 / 4:08 pm

Praying for you and your family.

24. Chief Cox Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:51 pm

Prayers for a quick healing and for my brothers and sisters at SQ please watch your six! I miss working with my SQ family and Eastblock crew.

25. E. Gutierrez Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:50 pm

Prayers to you and your family brother.

26. Talia Carrington Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Sending prayers to you and your family. Praying for a speedy recovery.

27. J. Chastain Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:40 pm

Thoughts and prayers are with you and to all my brothers and sisters in green: stay safe. Keep your head on a swivel.

28. N Smith Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:36 pm

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Here’s to a speedy recovery!

29. G Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:21 pm

CSP-SAC stands with you!

30. J. Ray Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:14 pm

My prayers are with you and your family my brother. Your SQ family is here for you all.
    Words can’t describe how it felt to respond and see your partner being attacked.

31. Sgt. G. Berry Friday, June 10, 2016 / 3:09 pm

Sending prayers your way for a full recovery. Everyone, please be safe at all times.

32. A. Watts Friday, June 10, 2016 / 2:22 pm

I have noticed that there have been several staff assaults in the past few months, more frequent than I can recall. Everyone stay staff and remember where we work. I hope that all the officers and families involved recover quickly, mentally and physically. Stay safe and thanks for protecting us!

33. D. McGuire Friday, June 10, 2016 / 1:35 pm

Get well soon Brother! Wishing for a speedy recovery.

34. K. Puzon Friday, June 10, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Prayers sent to the officer and his family.

35. R. Mana Jaundoo, CCRA CSP-SQ Friday, June 10, 2016 / 1:25 pm

We shall keep you in our prayers brother & hoping for a speedy recovery!
    -Mana & Big Country

36. Lt. Rojas Friday, June 10, 2016 / 1:20 pm

The San Quentin Family prayers are with this professional and his family. Pls Post and show your support.