Michael H. Carrillo

Wasco State Prison – Reception Center (WSP-RC) reported the passing of retired Warden Michael H. Carrillo on May 21, 2017.

Warden Carrillo joined CDCR in 1967 as a Correctional Officer at the California Correctional Institution at Tehachapi.

He promoted numerous times through his 30-year career, which included being appointed the first Warden of WSP-RC in 1991.

He retired as Warden of WSP-RC in 1997.

1. Chris Carrillo Monday, June 5, 2017 / 12:33 pm

My Dad would have been proud of his family and friends who stayed at his service to listen to the Carrillo children speak about him. All those that stayed you honered him and showed respect to one of your own who was with you through the good times, but more importantly the bad. On behalf of my family I would like to thank you all that came out and stayed with us, shared stories with us, and were good friends and co workers of my dad, Michael H. Carrillo.

2. Lt. S. Alva Friday, May 26, 2017 / 10:12 am

I was just starting in CDC in February of 1997 when I got to WSP. Warden Carillo was approaching the end his long career when he spoke to all of us new Officers in orientation. He shared some stories about the hurdles he had to overcome as a new Officer, and encouraged us to build on the hard work of the staff who came before us. He advised us to take advantage of what the department had to offer and to remember that our families were the reason we were there. His words, and the sincerity and honesty with which he spoke them, has always stuck with me. I’m saddened to hear of his passing, but thankful I was able to receive the valuable advice he shared that day. Like so many others we’ve lost in the CDC family, his legacy will live on in influence he had on so many people who will pay forward what he gave them.

My condolences to the family, please take comfort in the fact that he has postively impacted more people than you will ever know.

3. J. Summers Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 9:22 am

Jeff,
    I remember how my best friend, Troy Ojeda truly admired your dad… I’m not sure what heaven is like, but If there’s a golf course you can bet they’re on it.

My sincere condolences,
    Jerald – CMC

• J. Carrillo Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 2:04 pm

That is a great image, Jerald, and thinking of it makes me smile. Troy was actually my supervisor at the time of his unfortunate passing. He went way too young and will always be loved and deeply missed. I extend my sincere condolences to you as his friend. I wrote a poem for him and was honored to read it and also be afforded the opportunity to speak at the memorial service which was held for him at WSP-RC. The poem is posted in the comments of this link and there are MANY comments that paid tribute to Troy. If you have not seen them, I hope that seeing some of the kinds words people shared helps you cope with the pain of his loss. If the link doesn’t appear, search for his name using the red search tab at the top of this page and you will see it. Thanks to you and all who have reached out and shared kind words and wonderful stories about my Dad. They are all truly appreciated.

• J. Summers Thursday, June 1, 2017 / 9:35 am

I’ve read your poem and the other’s remarks many times over Jeff… He loved his WSP family very much. I also had the privilege of speaking at Troy’s A-Town service, which is a memory I’ll always loath yet cherish. We’re organizing a Memorial Nacimiento Lake trip (TBA) for family and friends whereas were going to spread some of his ashes and continue to celebrate his life. I’ll keep you posted if it’s something you’d like to attend. My email is on the “Global Address List”.

Thanks again,
      Jerald

4. D. Montoya Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 3:05 pm

Mr. Michael Carrillo, the Warden at Wasco State Prison 1991, I have so many good things to say about Mike. I was given the opportunity to work with him in the Planning and Construction of the Prison. He was such a remarkable amazing man, so funny at times. I volunteered many hours to assist him while he was waiting for the prison to be built. I was in the Activation Core Team, which was an honor. I took pride in starting my career in CDCR. Mike always had determination and took pride in all accomplishments even through all the Phases of the institution and then when the first inmates were recieved. I wish all the Carrillo family comfort and peace in the days to come. He will always be the Warden of Wasco State Prison. A great legend, a great friend, a great co-worker, a great man. I will never forget you, you were a successful mentor to all. RIP Michael Carrillo….Gone too soon….

5. Ty Hightower Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 2:45 pm

That was really beautiful Jeff! I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

6. Jeff Carrillo Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 6:36 pm

Once when I was younger and less wise, I felt my Dad was being too strict and told him “You’re not my Warden, you’re my Dad.” Now that I understand a lot more about life, I wish I had been there when he was the Warden. I would have loved to have seen him speak and to be able to stand by his side while he was with staff at various charity events, many of which continue to this day. It doesn’t matter where his physical remains will be – to me I will be blessed to feel close to my Dad’s spirit every day when I go to work and see his name on that plaque. Too many people these days don’t have the chance to know their father, didn’t feel loved by him or wonder what kind of impact he had on the world around him. My siblings and I are blessed to know who he was, what he was about, that he loved us and that he helped a lot of people. We have been fortunate over the years to meet many people that want to take the time to shake our hands and tell us they love him, that he personally talked them into starting with the Department, that he guided their careers, gave them advice, helped them in difficult times, personally called them on their birthdays, always asked about their families, etc. I am proud to work at Wasco State Prison – Reception Center, because after all the stories he told me about the good people there, it has been my privilege to work with them and see firsthand how much they care about doing things right in the proud spirit of teamwork. It is a double honor to be part of his legacy as his son and as part of the team at Wasco. We love you Dad and are relieved you passed peacefully and are reunited with so many loved ones, be they family, friends or co-workers. I will always try to live my life in a way that would make you proud.

• Diana Viale Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 12:54 pm

So sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

• Mallory Bryan Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 1:52 pm

This was perfect Jeff, everyone can read about the impact your dad had on your life. My grandfather first joined the board while your dad was first starting Wasco Prison. Stubborn man is still on this board today! I talked to him last night and he had nothing but nice things to say about your dad. Explained why you are the person you are today!! I am so grateful we have become friends and it is so nice to read and hear all the great things about him! He really impacted WSP and all the people he brought in and worked with, you should be so proud of him! (Which I know you are) much love to you and your family.

• K. Wyatt, RN Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 3:34 pm

That was a beautiful post, Jeff. May God grant you peace & serenity during this difficult time.

• Angela Clement Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 9:18 am

Jeff, your dad was an amazing man. It is an honor to work at Wasco, knowing that he opened this prison. I never knew your dad personally, but I feel like I know him through your stories. Any man who raised you has to be a great man and I know he is proud of you. My prayers and love to you and your family.