Pelican Bay State Prison investigating attack on officers

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP) officials are investigating an incident that sent eight officers to the hospital with injuries.

At 10:25 a.m. today, custody staff responded to a fistfight between two inmates on the B Facility maximum-security general population yard. Responding staff used chemical agents and batons to subdue the inmates; however, they refused to stop fighting.

As staff continued to try to subdue the two inmates, large groups of inmates from various areas of the yard ran toward the incident. The officers were overwhelmed as the inmates started attacking them. Officers from three armed posts used lethal force to stop the attacks firing a total of 19 .223 rounds from the mini-14 rifle and three 40-millimeter direct impact rounds.

Two inmate-made weapons were recovered; however, it does not appear at this time they were used in the attack.

Eight staff members were taken to an outside hospital with injuries. Six were treated and released and two are still hospitalized. Their injuries are significant but not life-threatening and they are expected to be released soon.

Seven inmates were also taken to outside hospitals, five of them for treatment of gunshot wounds.

PBSP officials have limited inmate movement throughout the entire institution to facilitate their investigation and they rehoused 97 inmates in the Administrative Segregation Unit.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sent a Deadly Force Investigations Team to the prison to conduct the criminal and administrative investigation into the use of deadly force. CDCR is also sending investigators from its Office of Correctional Safety. The Office of the Inspector General was notified.

The Peer Support Program was activated. The program ensures CDCR employees involved in work-related critical incidents are provided with intervention and resources to cope with the traumatic effects.

1. JG Sunday, June 11, 2017 / 2:30 am

Great job brothers and sisters at “The Bay”.

2. Julie S. (CDCR-DJJ) Friday, June 2, 2017 / 8:08 am

Wow, GREAT WORK to ALL STAFF using their training to stop the attack and what a blessing that through all that NO ONE was Critically injured! GOOD JOB and wishing a SPEEDY RECOVERY to our Staff that were injured. YOU ALL OUR HERO’S! God Bless all of you for this work you do! It’s NOT EASY! 🙂
    GET WELL SOON! JOB WELL DONE! 🙂

3. Vic Catalina Thursday, June 1, 2017 / 5:34 pm

So glad everyone made it out ok! Wish I could have been there with you all on that horrible day! I left a month too early! My prayers go out to everyone at Pelican Bay, my old home. Miss you all! Stay safe.

• Z. McCully Wednesday, August 9, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Thanks Vic, but I would say you left right on time. I’m thankful that it was me working that spot at the time. We all miss your humor, stay safe.

4. Frank Walker Tuesday, May 30, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Glad that staff is ok.Stay Safe my brothers and keep up the good work.god bless the staff of PBSP.

5. Sergeant Boseman Monday, May 29, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Glad that staff is ok and they were able to resort to their training to prevent more sever staff injury. Be safe my fellow officers.

6. CORRAL Saturday, May 27, 2017 / 8:32 pm

Thanks to the heroic and rapid response of the gunners our family in GREEN are still here today. Thank you for stopping the threat. Your extended family from LAC will be praying for all of you for a speedy recovery… Physically and mentally. May GOD be with you all. Again THANK YOU. Semper FI!

7. AJ Saturday, May 27, 2017 / 3:22 pm

I’m glad to hear and read that my old PBSP Crew made it out in one piece. I was truly blessed to work with a few of the great CO’s, Sergeants and Medical Staff at PBSP. You all showed me and taught me the true meaning of working family. My prayers and Big hugs go out to all my first responders and my tower team. Miss you all and have a speedy recovery!

8. Derrick Patrick Saturday, May 27, 2017 / 2:17 pm

I thank god none of the staff got seriously injured in this incident , outstanding job to all, stay safe and remember, “Stay Vigilant”.

9. F. Ali Saturday, May 27, 2017 / 8:29 am

Thank God Almighty for your lives. Be safe CDCR staff state wide. Pray for quick recovery to those
    officers.

10. P.A. Saturday, May 27, 2017 / 7:40 am

The CDCR recognizes the sanctity of human life. Therefore, deadly force will be used when it is reasonably necessary to (1) DEFEND the employee or other persons from an immediate threat of death or GBI……Great job tower cops in recognizing your brothers needed immediate assistance!
    May God Bless and we’re thinking of you down south from Chino (CIM)…….

11. Toro Friday, May 26, 2017 / 6:10 pm

Good job brothers in green, wishing everyone whom was effected by this incident including families a fast recovery.

12. A.Robbins Friday, May 26, 2017 / 9:49 am

Praying for the Officers a full and speedy recovery

13. L. DeLaCorte Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 3:03 pm

Great work, PBSP! God was watching over all of you. Reminder that we all (med and free staff also) have to stay vigilant in our awareness and each others’ six. It was your training and brotherhood that keep this incident from becoming a tragedy. Extremely proud of all of you. Keeping you in prayer, all the way from CCI, Tehachapi. STAY SAFE!

14. Mike Truck Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 2:28 pm

Seems like a lot of attacks on staff lately, wonder why. Hope these officers recover quickly.

15. Lt. S. Moss Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 10:05 am

God is sooo good and I thank Him for watching over our CDCR family in the midst of this violent incident and in the administrative investigation to follow. I pray a speedy recovery for all those involved in this incident. I’d also like to thank the three Officers that used force to stop the attack on the responding Officers for recognizing the seriousness of this incident and responding accordingly in an effort to preserve the lives of the Officers under attack.

16. D.Moxley Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 9:38 am

Goes to show how great Correctional training kept those officers alive. They were definitely being watched over. Please everyone, stay safe and keep up the great work. Definitely have prayers coming from CVSP ✟

17. Jack Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 9:20 am

Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery for the staff involved.

18. Charelene Perriera Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 8:27 am

Thank god for everyone at CDCR being a brotherhood. This could happen anywhere, this is reminder to remember our environment. Best wishes on recovery.

19. PoppaRod Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 8:02 am

Brave men and women, who put their lives on the line daily…. God bless em all!

20. J. Jones Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 7:49 am

Thank God our brothers and Sisters are alive and going to be Ok. Great job to Pelican Bay staff. We are all thinking about you down here at CSP-SAC.
    You all deserved to be the featured and only news of the day on “Inside CDCR News”. God Bless you all.

• Loudan Swain Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 9:47 am

Just more proof on how we line up against the population brother. I agree 110%, there shouldn’t be another story on this page. Stay safe my brothers and sisters.

21. Aragon Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 7:49 am

Prayers for the officers involved,, Thank You for putting Your lives on the line daily.

22. J. Johnson Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 7:29 am

So sorry this happened. So glad no officers were killed.

23. Bob Staviski Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 6:55 am

Hope All Staff heal quickly. Sounds like the Gunners on that yard did a Great job. Without the Gunners the Incident probably would have been much worse. Good job on handling Business PBSP Gunners !!!!!

24. Jose Padilla Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 6:36 am

Sending prayers for our brothers and sisters in Green and for all at Pelican Bay from NKSP.

• Jay Manges Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 6:54 am

Nice message Joe. Having a meeting with staff this morning to share this news as several here, including myself, have worked the Bay. I suggest all supervisors do the same to reinforce to need to stay vigilant and always watch your six.

25. J. Bargstadt, Sergeant Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 3:16 am

Praying for the officers to have a full and speedy recovery.

Stay Safe and Watch Your 6ix

26. JW Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 9:59 pm

So thankful all officers involved are going to be ok. These men and women hold such a special place in my heart.

27. Darren Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 9:14 pm

I thank God that none of our staff got killed in this incident . I thank CDCR for the outstanding alarm response training we receive which allows use to hold the line, keep the fight, protect the public and return home to our loved ones safe. Outstanding job PBSP – STAY SAFE my brothers and keep up the fine work. Thank you all! God bless.