Two Correctional Officers to receive State’s highest award for heroic acts by employees

Two CDCR Correctional Officers will be honored for acts of heroism May 23 at the Governor’s State Employee Medal of Valor Award ceremony.

Officers Mike Johnson and Jaymi Appleberry – both of the California State Prison, Sacramento – will receive Gold Medals,  the highest honor the state can give its employees.

In September 2015 while off-duty, Appleberry fought off an armed assailant who attacked her and a friend outside their apartment. The attacker fired his weapon twice near her head, but Appleberry wrestled the gun from him and he fled.

In February 2015 while on his way home from work, Johnson came upon a fiery crash. He pulled a woman from a burning car just before the vehicle became fully engulfed in flames. He carried another victim away from the burning vehicle, while suffering burns himself.

Both officers were honored with CDCR Medals of Valor, the department’s highest award, last September.

The ceremony will be held at the California Highway Patrol Academy in West Sacramento. It is not open to the public.

Read the story on the ceremony, http://www.insidecdcr.ca.gov/2017/06/two-cdcr-officers-receive-states-highest-honor/

1. Lt. D. Lopez, SVSP Saturday, May 27, 2017 / 2:22 pm

Congrats to both Officers, you really deserve the recognition. Officer Michael Johnson who worked at SVSP at the time of his Heroic act was/is very humble concerning his life saving actions. I was the Watch Commander when I got the call from the CHP Officer at the local Hospital letting us know of the heroic actions and injuries to Correctional Officer Michael Johnson. I remember that night quite well, and my heart goes out to the crash victims, but my joy reaches far for our Corrections community Brothers and Sisters as we help protect our communities on and off duty. Officer Michael Johnson’s actions saved the lives of at least two people. He told me, he does not know where the strength came from to open a crashed locked door, but he did it. He continued to help the familly from the crash victims for a long period of time, financially and emotionally. He stood by them during their healing. His actions are in keeping with the highest traditions and reflect great credit upon himself, CDCR, and the State of California Peace Officers. I take great pride in saying I was privileged to work beside a Hero.

2. SGT A. Burt "CMC" Thursday, May 25, 2017 / 8:29 pm

I’m so proud of both of you guys for your heroic actions. Your a true definition of a hero and without a doubt deserve the Medal of Valor and more. Wish I could be at the ceremony in person and shake both your hands! Keep up the great work, my CDCR family, you make us proud.
    Yours truly,
    Sgt. Burt, CMC

3. C/O Wills Wednesday, May 24, 2017 / 2:38 am

Congratulations to both of you!

4. Monica Romero Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Amazing Heroes!

• T. Raffa Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 10:12 pm

I agree! Amazing heroes and I am so proud of them both! They really deserve this high honor. Congratulations to both of them!

5. PoppaRod Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 10:30 am

Awesome acts of bravery by 2 awesome people, who also happen to be C.O.’s! Blessings to you and all your families.

6. Suni Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 9:56 am

Congratulations on your bravery. Well deserved. Putting your lives after others, very selfless. Thanks for making the world safer for all of us. God Bless & protect you both. 🙂

7. Liz Ortega Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 9:35 am

That’s awesome!!! Congrats to you both for your bravery 🙂 God Bless you!

8. Valerie Estrella Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 8:37 am

Congratulations for your heroic acts.

9. Jane Rogan CDCR - C.I.W. Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 8:25 am

Congratulations to these two brave Correctional Officers!
    God Bless you both!

10. N. Melgoza Tuesday, May 23, 2017 / 8:24 am

WOW! Always on duty. You two ROCK! Thanks.