Inmate goes from SHU to Level II, earns GED

Warden Cynthia Y. Tampkins and inmate Tommy Corral pause for a photo after the CRC general population graduation.

By Lt. Sarah Watson, AA/PIO
California Rehabilitation Center

California Rehabilitation Center (CRC) inmate Tommy Corral successfully completed the GED program and graduated in December 2016. Through hard work on his part using the step-down program, he’s gone from serving time in a security housing unit to a Level II institution.

Inmate Corral is a 39-year-old first-term commitment from San Bernardino County, serving a 28-year sentence for attempted murder. Corral arrived at CRC, a Level II institution, in July 2016, after proving he was suitable for dormitory living.

“First of all, I’m so happy for the opportunity to graduate and my family to see it,” said Corral. “I’m the first of my siblings, two brothers and a sister, to graduate.”

Inmate Corral said he always thought once his life was in order, he would go back to school and complete his education. He started in 2006 and has continued working on his education as he was transferred to different institutions.

When he arrived at CRC, he only needed to pass Science to finish his GED and graduate. Corral said the CRC education staff was very helpful and supportive. He took the GED exam on Oct. 10, 2016, and passed.

Corral looks forward to taking more classes and getting involved in Self-Help Programs, specifically Anger Management. He said he is also interested in the Warden’s Book Club.

“Knowledge is power and I would like to work with the youthful offenders to encourage them to get their education because prison is not the way to live,” he said.

Inmate Corral will one day be released back into society and he hopes to pursue a college degree.

Warden Cynthia Tampkins said she is a firm believer in rehabilitation and that there is a spark of hope in everyone.

1. Ana Colunga Sunday, June 25, 2017 / 2:56 pm

I am truly happy for my nephew Tommy Corral’s achievement ,My thanks to all staff, We the family are very PROUD of him! Love you Tommy.

2. Cynthia Rosales Sunday, June 25, 2017 / 2:37 pm

I would like to congratulate my nephew Tommy Corral. On his hard work. He has become a strong and smarter person. He completely changed his life. We are very bless. Thanks to all the staff that helped make it happen. Tommy is on a road to success.

3. Lorraine Diaz Saturday, June 24, 2017 / 12:58 pm

Congratulations Cousin. Keep up the good work.

4. Lorraine Diaz Saturday, June 24, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Wow amazing turn around cousin. I’m very proud of you’re accomplishment. .Keep up the good work.. Congratulations. God Bless You.

5. Betty Vasquez Friday, June 23, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Congratulations to Tommy Corral and all the staff that took part of this wonderful transition of helping Tommy succeed to earn his GED. Tommy did the hard part by taking the test, but the staff that took the time to help and tutor and care about another inmate accomplishing a goal is awesome. Thank you staff that helped, you know who you are, congratulations to you all. I myself enjoy working in wonderful organization like CDCR, and I personality know that the R for Rehabilitation works, I’ve seen many inmates/students care about succeeding and taking advantage of our programs offered to them.

• Ana Colunga Saturday, June 24, 2017 / 1:28 pm

I’m Tommy’s Aunt. So proud of him ❤

• Cynthia Rosales Sunday, June 25, 2017 / 5:55 pm

Thank you for making it happen.

6. Marsha Porter Friday, June 23, 2017 / 10:55 am

Positive stories are the best!! Warden Tampkins sends a positive thought..in that there is spark of hope in everyone. I AGREE, GO REHABILITATION!! Everone needs to bring forth effort to make it work.

7. CMC SGT D. Vieyra Friday, June 23, 2017 / 7:57 am

Congratulations! It is refreshing to see that CDCR is finally earning that R for Rehabilitation. I joined this department to change lives and I am so proud to be part of this wonderful organization. One life has been changed today, look forward to many, many more! GO REHABILITATION!