Paul Baker

San Quentin State Prison (SC) reported the passing of Associate Warden Paul Baker on June 20, 2017.

He started with CDCR in January 1996 as a Correctional Officer at California State Prison, Solano, where he promoted to Correctional Sergeant in 2005.

In 2006, he transferred to the Richard A. McGee Correctional Training Facility.  In 2009, he promoted to Correctional Lieutenant at Folsom State Prison.

He transferred to SQ in 2012, where he promoted to Captain in 2014 and Associate Warden in 2017.

1. J.Larsen RN Tuesday, June 27, 2017 / 1:12 am

I had the pleasure of working with Paul when he first arrived at SQ, and although I’m medical he was such a respectful and professional man. We worked together for a little over 4 years, he would talk highly about his wife, the good times they had, and about life in general. He was not only a co-worker but also a friend. I’m now at Solano and had the pleasure of seeing and speaking with Paul recently while interviewing to return to SQ, so when I heard about his passing I was completely shocked! Paul is a rare kind within CDCR, he treated everyone with respect and if you needed help he was always there to lend a hand. He will be missed by so many! My prayers are with his wife and family…God bless~

2. Elizabeth Becerra Monday, June 26, 2017 / 2:20 pm

I had the pleasure of working for Paul. He was a man of integrity. He not only cared about the mission/program, but he genuinely cared about his staff. He was always there for me and I will truly miss him. Men like him are far and few. I can honestly say that he made it a pleasure to put in 10-12 hrs days, if needed. There is nothing that I wouldn’t do for him as a boss. He is the example that any and every supervisor/manager should try to follow. If others were just half of what he was as a “boss” the world would be a better place. It is for Paul, that I will continue to give my all to SQ.

3. Leard Mapes Monday, June 26, 2017 / 9:18 am

My deepest condolences to his family. Paul and I were Sgt’s together at the Galt Academy. We all have lost a great man and friend. Rest in peace my friend.

4. VINCE MORRIS Sunday, June 25, 2017 / 2:41 pm

It seems with the PASSING of A.W PAUL BAKER; THIS LOSS RIVALS A FAMILY MEMBER. SINCERELY AND RESPECTFULLY PLEASE ACCEPT OUR MEMORIES OF A WELL RESPECTED FAMILY MEMBER.

5. Terie Rapp Saturday, June 24, 2017 / 11:36 am

I knew him as a young man, and what a great person.I know he touched many lives. My sincere condolences to the family,

6. David Gitmed III & Family Saturday, June 24, 2017 / 12:17 am

I wasn’t fortunate to know Paul. However, I do know that his stepchildren, who are my nephew and niece cared deeply for him. It was like having two Fathers. Most of are fortunate just to have one in this day and age. Anyway, I wanted to know more about him; that’s how I found this website. My condolences go out to his wife and her children along with the rest of you who knew him for in your line of work you are all like family. Yet so are we. Anyway my family and I have to managed to put together some funds to bring his wife’s son home from Georgia during his Mom’s hour of need. It was the least we could do. May Jehovah’s blessing be with the all the Baker family and friends
    Sincerely, David Gitmed III

7. B. Green Friday, June 23, 2017 / 1:55 pm

I remember Paul fondly. We worked together as officers. Far too young, far, far too young. My condolences to his family and his other collegues and friends.

8. M. Kaihe CTC Galt Friday, June 23, 2017 / 1:23 pm

I was blessed with the opportunity to work with Paul as an officer at Solano and again as a Sergeant at the academy. Paul was such a pleasure to work with. He was always positive with a smile on his face. A very humble, funny and well respected man who is going to missed by all who knew him.

9. T. Brooks Friday, June 23, 2017 / 11:08 am

I had the pleasure of being one of Paul’s partners at the CTC-Annex. He was always smiling, willing to step up and a great leader. The world is a little less bright with his passing. He was an inspiration to all and will be missed. RIP brother until we meet again.

10. dB Friday, June 23, 2017 / 11:03 am

A good man, gone too soon. He is someone I will continue to look up to and strive to be like in my work. I will not forget him. To the family, I wish I had the right words to say….I can’t imagine your grief, and I’m sorry for your loss. Maybe it will help to know how well-respected he is, and that there are so many that grieve with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

11. Patricia Mohr Friday, June 23, 2017 / 10:50 am

Paul is the son and the nephew of my friends. There are many broken hearts. He was only 44 years old, and his death was completely unexpected.

12. Benjamin Guyton Friday, June 23, 2017 / 10:44 am

I appreciated my time with Lt. Baker as one of my Supervisors. He treated staff with complete respect will be missed. I will keep his family in my prayers.

13. C. Hees; DAI HQ Friday, June 23, 2017 / 10:36 am

Worked with Paul at SQ, always had a smile and a skip in his step. His passing leaves everyone who knew or worked with him feeling emptier.

14. Steven Cummings Thursday, June 22, 2017 / 10:39 am

Had the pleasure of working with Paul at the CDCR Academy and FSP. While at SQ in 2012 we were able to do a transfer swap, which opened the door for his advancements, he was an outstanding person and he will surly be missed by all. RIP

15. Jean Weiss Thursday, June 22, 2017 / 9:38 am

Rest in Peace Paul. You were a great individual. My prayers to your family and extended CDCR family. Thank you for your kindness and positive spirit. You will be missed.

16. G.Polanco Thursday, June 22, 2017 / 8:46 am

Paul was a Class Act, I am proud to say that I knew him. When he first got to San Quentin he was my Lt. in Carson Section and it was then I knew this guy was going places. The way he interacted with staff was awesome he always said Hi to everyone and greeting them in a way where one felt comfortable. I am going to truly miss him. To his Family my deepest condolences .

Rest in Peace my Friend

17. D. Howell FSP Thursday, June 22, 2017 / 7:41 am

Rest in Peace. Condolences to the Baker family. He was a great man and well respected here at Folsom State Prison.

18. Moeen Thursday, June 22, 2017 / 5:23 am

Had the pleasure of working with him at San Quentin. He was a wonderful human being and one of the finest CDCR employees. May God grant him paradise.