CDCR Time Capsule 1988: Folsom CO Lyle Herman slain after trying to break up robbery

(Correction News, Vol. 2, No. 3, published this story in the September 1988 edition about the death of a correctional officer who was killed while trying to help a neighbor who was being attacked and robbed. Today, New Folsom prison is known as California State Prison, Sacramento.)

Folsom Correctional Officer Lyle Herman, Jr., died June 29, 1988, after suffering head injuries when he intervened during a robbery.

Folsom prison Officer Lyle Herman, Jr.

Folsom SP Officer Lyle Herman, Jr.

Herman, 37, came to the aid of a neighbor who was being robbed and beaten by four suspects on June 20. The suspects turned on Herman, beating and kicking him until he was unconscious.

He was taken to a Sacramento hospital where he was treated and released. But Herman complained of headaches and continued treatment as an outpatient.

On the morning of June 29, he collapsed and died. Officer Herman’s death was due to a brain hemorrhage resulting from a blow to the head he received while intervening in a robbery nine days before.

The funeral services for Herman were held Saturday, July 2, in Sacramento.

Suspects held in the case were charged with murder.

Recently, Officer Herman’s wife and their three children visited Folsom Prison. Warden Robert Borg presented Mrs. Herman with a check for $2,000 donated by staff members from both Old and New Folsom.

Mrs. Herman was also presented a letter of commendation for Officer Herman’s outstanding record as an employee of the department for which he earned the respect of his fellow officers and supervisors.

Mrs. Herman and the children then toured the areas where Officer Herman worked. They were able to meet with and share with many of the staff members who worked with Officer Herman.

“Officer Lyle Herman, Jr., was an excellent employee, an asset to the department, and an outstanding example of the commitment and sacrifice demonstrated by law enforcement officers. His death is a great loss to his family and to Folsom Prison. he will be deeply missed by his friends at Folsom,” said Warden Borg.

Herman entered the Correctional Training Center at Galt in August 1986, graduating six weeks later. He was assigned to Folsom Prison upon his graduation and work there until his death. During the last 15 months, he was assigned to Facility C at New Folsom.

1. C/O J.M. Garcia Sunday, July 23, 2017 / 8:27 am

Anton, just remember that Heroes like your Dad will live forever in our hearts. What He did was an act of heroism and will never be forgotten. The ultimate sacrifice of losing his own life to save others is what defines him as a Hero and his legacy will continue in You. Sorry for your loss at a such a young age, may God bless You continue watching over You and your family.

2. Valerie Estrella Wednesday, July 19, 2017 / 8:44 am

I didn’t know him until reading this article. But he was a true hero and I am so sorry for your loss. I know the pain doesn’t go away completely. Wishing the family Peace.

3. Helen Herman Sunday, July 16, 2017 / 11:19 am

Thank You to all for your kind words.
    ALL three children of CO Lyle Jr. turned into AMAZING adults. Anton, as well as Jen & Lyle III, are EACH successful, intelligent&resilient. When your Dad was murdered, it could’ve been the reason to not succeed in life. Instead, your Dad’s resilience & heroism lives on through each of his 3 kids. ❤️
    Love You.

4. Derrick Patrick Saturday, July 15, 2017 / 2:26 pm

Rest In Heaven, Brother

5. K Friday, July 14, 2017 / 10:56 am

Thanks God for sending Officer Herman into our world, he dedicated his life to save not only the victim but thousands of lives. His intervention was defined as hero act; not to let the criminal get away. We are grateful to his service.

6. Kurt Harms, C/O, CSP-SOL Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 7:54 pm

I worked with Lyle for about three months at New Folsom “Charlie” yard on Third Watch during his last days of service. I was yard officer and S&E relief, he was assigned to “C” yard. We served side-by-side for that brief period of time. I do recall that he was older and slightly more experienced than me, but he had a tremendous air of confidence and calmness about him. If we went off together to run some errand around the yard, I was at ease because of his presence and felt that he would have my back and that I would surely do what I could for him when SHTF. The day I came to work and Sgt. Ringle told me of Officer Herman’s passing, I was of course shocked and stunned and I have never forgotten him to this day. I know that many In the department have made great efforts to keep the memory of Lyle Herman alive and they are also to be commended. I know when C/O Herman was around I was able to be a more effective officer. God Bless to all his Family and to all the knew and served with Correctional Officer Lyle Herman

• Anton herman Monday, July 17, 2017 / 6:53 pm

Thanks for your memory means a lot

7. Rita M Belmontez Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 6:45 pm

May God continue to keep his arms around your family .

8. Michael Zulim, retired Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 6:24 pm

I remember this tragedy that these cowards did upon our brother. God bless his soul and his family.

• Anton Herman (Son) Monday, July 17, 2017 / 7:21 pm

9. Anton Herman Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 10:52 am

I was 8 years old at the time still seems like yesterday

Love you
    Dad

• J. Carrillo Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 1:05 pm

I’m sorry you had to endure such a huge loss at that young age. It’s tragic that happened to him as a result of courageously trying to help the neighbor. I hope that your memories of him never fade and that you always feel his spirit close to you.

• Michael Zulim, retired Friday, July 21, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Hi Anton no I did not work with your dad, but I heard this tragic event while working at another prison. We lost a good cop and brother that day. Stay strong son and live for your father and his memory.

10. Anton Herman Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 10:51 am

Miss my Dad everyday

11. SACLM Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 9:50 am

Thank you FOL/SAC for the support and donation that was given to the family. God Protect All.

• Anton Herman Thursday, July 13, 2017 / 1:37 pm