Pine Grove Youth Conservation Camp was honored this week to be asked to transport a statue. Not just any statue, but one with a long history in the Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ).
The piece is a hand-carved antique sandstone statue that depicts an image of a mother, father and child standing together, done in the Art Nouveau style that was then very popular. It dates back to the 1890s. The statue stands about 36-inches tall, and rests on a wood base that was made by DJJ wards many decades ago.
The statue was originally in the old castle at the Fred C. Nelles Youth Correctional Facility, a decommissioned facility that now sits in the middle of downtown Whittier. The castle was torn down in 1916 and the Statue was moved to the administration offices onsite. Fred C. Nelles was used as Juvenile Facility until late 2003.
As of this week, it was located at 1515 “S” Street in Room 502 South, where the CDCR Office of the Secretary is located.
Beginning today, visitors will find it in the Executive Office at DJJ headquarters, located at 4241 Williamsbough Drive in South Sacramento.