Over the course of the last fiscal year, Ironwood State Prison (ISP) self-help Inmate Activity Groups (IAG) have raised more than $25,000 for charitable organizations.
ISP has an active and aggressive self-help program, supported by Warden David B. Long.
The purpose of IAGs is twofold. They provide a self-help program for inmates to participate and work on bettering themselves. They also provide an avenue for the inmates to contribute to charitable organizations.
Below is a list of the IAGs at ISP, and the charitable contributions they raised this year:
• Alternatives to Violence Project, $4,184
• Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous, $4, 980
• Lifer’s Activity Group, $2,291
• Veteran’s Activity Group, $3,831
• I–4–Sight, $5,950
• Criminals and Gangs Anonymous, $1,550
• Life’s Too Short, $1,585.81
• Addiction Counseling Program, $1,585.81
Here are the organizations that the groups assisted:
• Metcalf Recovery Ranch, $1,000
• Future Farmers of America Agricultural Sponsorship, $1,008
• Ageless Reflections, $250
•American Legion Post No. 24, $572.97
• Appleby Elementary Accelerated Readers, $400
• AVP of California, $1,184
• Bags of Love, $1,395.57
• Blythe Little League All Stars, $1,930.05
• Blythe Police Activities League, $500
• Criminals and Gangs Anonymous of California, $500
• Families of the Incarcerated, $750
• Independence Fund, $2,000
• Blythe Jr. ROTC, $250
• Palo Verde High School Band, $1,000
• Palo Verde High School Baseball Team, $3,614.14
• Palo Verde High School Scholarships, $2,500
• Joe Wine Recreation Center, $3,446.21
• The Rec-n-Crew, $3,557.21
In addition to the charitable donations, an often unrecognized benefit of the fundraisers is the support and business provided to local vendors and businesses.
In the last fiscal year, the IAGs provided $82,393 in sales to numerous local businesses. The ISP IAGs would not be possible without the dedication of the group sponsors who believe in the benefits that the self-help programs provide to the community and the inmates.
Warden Long said he appreciates that without cooperation and participation of all ISP’s staff none of this success would be possible.