Honor Guard, staff members attend memorial at state Capitol
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation attended the 2015 California Peace Officers Memorial Ceremony on May 4 to pay respects to the fallen officers of the past year. The ceremony was held at the state Capitol in Sacramento.
The Transportation Unit Honor Guard attended as did the Honor Guard from California State Prison, Sacramento, and Folsom State Prison. Also in attendance were 25 Parole Agents from the regions as well as CDCR executives Bobby Haase, Deputy Director of the Division of Adult Parole Operations, and Ben Rice, General Counsel.
The event is organized by the California Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation, whose mission is to recognize and honor peace officers who gave their lives in the line of duty, serving California citizens, and provide support to the family members left behind.
Those who died in the line of duty in 2014:
- Officer Jordan J. Corder, Covina Police Department
- Officer Christopher A. Cortijo, Los Angeles Police Department
- Detective Michael D. Davis, Jr., Placer County Sheriff’s Office
- Deputy Ricky P. Del Fiorentino, Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office
- Officer Shaun R. Diamond, Pomona Police Department
- Officer Juan J. Gonzalez, CHP – Fresno Area Office
- Officer Scott M. Hewell, Stockton Police Department
- Deputy Yevhen “Eugene” Kostiuchenko, Ventura County Sheriff’s Office
- Deputy Danny P. Oliver, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department
- Detective Sergeant Tom A. Smith, Jr., BART Police Department
- Officer Brian M. Law, CHP – Fresno Area Office
- Officer Nicholas C. Lee, Los Angeles Police Department
- Officer Roberto C. Sanchez, Los Angeles Police Department
(Editor’s note: Some websites may not be accessible from a CDCR computer.)
Learn more about the foundation, https://www.camemorial.org/